baumer

IM3 Thurs (RTH) 7.6M....Gatsby 3.25 midnights

Its a hyped up film going both young and female, its seems ripe to have a big Friday and a drop on Saturday.

I'm not disputing the Saturday drop, but I'm asking you to show me examples of other films that dropped on saturday, of the same ilk.

Can you tell me what films you are basing a 25-30% drop on? The Notebook dropped 12% on Saturday. Titanic went up 25%.

Well recent women centric films have tended to fall heavier on Saturday - biggest example of course being Twilight but, you could look at this from Magic Mikes perspective - great female buzz and most of business on Friday (midnights) relative to the weekend.

Can you tell me what films you are basing a 25-30% drop on?  The Notebook dropped 12% on Saturday.  Titanic went up 25%.

Magic Mike had a 41% drop on Saturday. Sex and the City dropped 34. Those seem like more apt comparisons than Notebook and Titanic. Especially considering Titanic is 15 years old, and the Notebook opened with 13M.  ;)

GG is quite a different animal Baumer, its hard to tell but mostly films going young and female fall on Saturday,

So it appears to me Im3 will likely increase about 150% at most Today but increase a lot on Saturday.

GG should do okay on Sunday though.

Guys, I'm not disagreeing with you.  I just want to know what you are basing it on.  MM is a good one, Twilight and Sex and The City are not.  

The reason why this film over performed is due to the marketing increase the hype dramtically so I think that will no doubt cause frontloading.

Even so I think an opening near 50 million seems right now however I remember last year with magic mike we went a bit overboard.

Now imagine if this film was good, it could have likley ended up around 150+ million :rolleyes:

Edited by Lordmandeep

Great midnight number for GG while an average number for IM3. It's going to need 155%+ jump and probably closer to 170% today to salvage the weekend or it's going to join Twilight/Potter in record breaking 2nd weekend drops.