baumer

Thurs Numbers STID 11.4 GG 3.4 IM3 3.3

The long wait and the release date killed Star Trek.  Which sucks because it far better than IM3.  Also for Trek 3 if there is one, Abrams needs not to come back. 

I doubt IM3 is playing a huge role in this. It is in ts 3 weekend. 

• Like 1

The Avengers Side Effect: Everything that it's released close to the release date of an Avenger film turns to a flop until at least three weeks have passed.

This is partly but I wouldn't say this is specific to just Avengers movies, this happens with most big movies.  I could make the case that The Dark Knight Rises probably killed demand for Total Recall and the Bourne Legacy last year.  Without friday numbers it's premature to say this is a bomb, but if it is it could be just as much the fault of TH3 and FF 6 next weekend as it is IM3's fault two weekends ago.

This thread will probably be the wildest roller coaster of the summer  :lol:  :wub:

(Or are we starting a new one for Friday #s? either way, you know what I mean)

I doubt IM3 is playing a huge role in this. It is in ts 3 weekend. 

This. If Trek opened lower than expected, there are plenty of reasons for that, but IM3 is not one of them.

You know we have all these reasons why it didn't do well yesterday.  People didn't know it opened yesterday.  Too long in between films.  Nobody knows who Cumberbatch is.  How about a simple one?  Most people decided to not go see the film yesterday.

• Like 2

This. If Trek opened lower than expected, there are plenty of reasons for that, but IM3 is not one of them.

Not necessarily. IM3 opened massively and with F6/TH3 coming up STID looks likely to be sandwiched between them. May was just too packed and STID should have moved to July but everything is in hindsight right now. 

KUNG FU PANDA 2 increased 125.7% on its first Friday from its muted Thursday opening day. If Trek did that from its preview-less opening day, it would have a 25.9m Friday and probably an 80m weekend (+20% Saturday, -26% Sunday), 93.5m 4.5-day. 

Good news for Trek is that I think families have seen Iron Man 3 already and this sci-fi action film will fit the bill. Bad news for Trek is that its only optimistic comparison is against an animated movie. Worse news for Trek is that it's facing competition in basically every demo next weekend and it really needed to get as much money as possible over these first few days.