baumer

Monsters University (2013)

69 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Please explain how. 

I thought MI was good to very good so I definitely don't have it as high as some do. Second, MU has the more stunning animation. I loved the final message of MU, little winks and nods were well done as well. It was funnier and I just loved Crystal's performance as Mike. My only negative was underdevelopment of Randle. They could've fleshed his character out more but overall I certainly enjoyed it more than MI. :D

• Like 2

Just saw this tonight, and loved it! Definitely felt like old school Pixar (Toy Story, Bug's Life, etc). Young Mike at the beginning was super adorable

But I really loved it. I too thought it was better than the first one. I like the first one, but for some reason it doesn't really stand out to me that much, but this one did. Not sure if it was the story or the characters, or maybe the excellent animation and score, but I thought it all came together really well to form a pretty enjoyable film. And it was fun watching in an audience full of kids, don't get that much laughter in most film showings!

• Like 1

I liked it a lot. Started off slow but really picked up and ended well. I mentioned this in the Pixar club thread - I felt the movie was unnecessary, but it's a nice addition to the Pixar library. This is the movie they probably hoped Cars 2 would be. Harmless quality fun.B+

• Like 2

B+ / A-

Thought it was great, much better than the last 2 outings from Pixar for sure, but it lacked that magical touch the first one had - something about exploring the monsters in the closet that they just couldn't recreate.

• Like 2

Eh, I thought it was better than Nemo, Up, Bug's Life, both Cars movies, and Brave. But you know, opinions. :)

I'd definitely put it above Cars, Up, Brave, Toy Story 2, and even the original Monsters Inc. My Pixar favorites are Toy Story 1/3, Bug's Life, Ratatouille, and Nemo, and this one was right on par with all of those (except TS3). I thought it was really good, and was a breath of fresh air! I wasn't even looking forward to it, because Monsters Inc wasn't one of my top Pixar films (I like it but it didn't click with me as well as the others for whatever reason). I was worried when they announced this one, because I wondered why Pixar picked their two weakest films (in my opinion, Cars and Monsters Inc) to make sequels/prequels to.

• Like 1

Monsters University

12:10 PM

Probably about 25%-30% full.

Trailers:

Free Birds: I forgot about this film. It looks meh, though there was one line I did find amusing (when the turkey is talking to his reflection.) Only a couple laughs (Really the only trailer that had not that many laughs)

Lego: A bunch of "What the hecks?" when the trailer began. Some laughs here and there, followed by some "That looks odd" The parts people really laughed were the Batman part and the part at the end.

Turbo: Some laughs.

Cloudy 2: The best reaction out of all the trailers. Looks pretty funny too.

Frozen: I do have to admit the animation is really good, quite a bit of laughs. But as teasers do, does not tell you anything. (Considering they don't even tell you its about a princess!)

Planes: Few laughs, most came from the very last line in the trailer.

Short: Very very odd, good animation. The music was not that bad. But I can't grade the short itself as it is just odd. Can't tell you if I liked it or not. (I wanted to see the people's faces!!!!)  Parts of it did remind me of a old cartoon though.

Movie: Pretty good, not as good as the first I will admit. I did like the opening, and the part towards the end in the

campground that seemed like a horror film

got tons of laughs. The animation was great (well no surprise). The music was good also. (I was wondering if this is the 70s, that is my guess). The part before the end credits I enjoyed seeing the pictures that showed us a couple characters from the first, and

Roz's appearance

was really funny and people liked that.

I think I will give this a A-. 

• Like 3

I really enjoyed it. I admit the plotline is fairly predictable but overall I thought it was hilarious and had a great atmosphere. I especially love the final scare against the cops, that was well executed and fun to watch play out. Not since 2010 with Toy Story 3 has Pixar made me love them, their last two films were disappointing and I felt this was a return to form.

Oh, and I can't forget that amazing short before the film, The Blue Umbrella. Very creative and touching. That was one of my favorite Pixar shorts. Some of the best animation I've ever seen along with some great music.

A

Edited by StarSaber
  • Like 2