#ED

Wknd Est: MU - 46.1M; The Heat - 40M; WWZ - 29.8M; WHD - 25.7M; MoS - 20.8M; (pg 104)

• Founder / Operator

WHD failed because it's too liberal? That's a new one.

I doubt its opening weekend can be explained that way, but after a few days when word of mouth sets in, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in some areas of the country.

• Like 2

If we go by multiplierBb - 4.3Dark Knight - 3.2Tdkr - 2.8Im1 - 3.2Im2 - 2.4Im 3 - 2.3Mos - 2.4-2.6 (280-300 million)Tasm - 4.2In essence newer versions always have highest multiplier even if their sequels may have the higher final box office number and even if the movie is better than the previous one

Edited by Hasan Ahmad

• Founder / Operator

If we go by multiplierBb - 4.3Dark Knight - 3.2Tdkr - 2.8Im1 - 3.2Im2 - 2.4Im 3 - 2.3Mos - 2.4-2.6 (280-300 million)Tasm - 4.2In essence newer versions always have highest multiplier even if their sequels may have the higher final box office number and even if the movie is better than the previous one

BB and TASM opened in the middle of the week, though, so they should be excluded in the comparison.

• Like 1

You do realize that movie opened with 20M on his way to a 90M DOM total? I am not saying people asked for a sequel, because nobody did, but his WOM was quite good.

It's going to suffer the same fate as Expendables 2. Red was a novelty. 

• Like 1

New numbers from Nikki:

1. The Heat (Fox) NEW [Runs 3,181] R

Estimated Friday $17M-0.56M, Est Weekend $3M-$3M

Tihs ptsu teh Mlisesa MraCathy Snarad Bllokc vhcilee on trackk froaralfksfdsklafdddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You win the coveted Ruthie-Loves-You award.  Congratulations!

• Founder / Operator

My biggest problem with Red 2 is that the studio saw a solid Fall-time hit and, IMO, mistook it as something whose sequel deserves to open in the middle of summer. I could be wrong, but, I just don't sense the same desire for this one. Red was a breath of fresh air for general audiences with its October release in 2010.

• Like 4

That's not really fair since may releases have bigger weekend and smaller weekdays. If you compare the first seven days they have pretty similar shares of the total  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/grossbydays.htm?days=7&p=.htm

You may also notice that Avengers has a smaller share than TDK, which indicates better legs.

None of that matters. The multipliers are what they are. No getting around it. We've seen movies have great legs in the face of competition before. IM3 could've done it. It didn't. 

I still don't think MU gets to $300m, but, that's mainly because it feels like DM2 is going to put a big dent in it.

Or... maybe DM2 isn't going to be as big as we expect.

*shrug*

DM2 is even more unnecessary than MU. I don't think it'll be as huge as everyone thinks. 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

The whole weekend multiplier debate has points on both sides, but let's also keep in mind that Saturday increases are much stronger outside of summer weekdays. That somewhat balances out the inequity of a May weekend versus a July weekend.

• Like 1

My biggest problem with Red 2 is that the studio saw a solid Fall-time hit and, IMO, mistook it as something whose sequel deserves to open in the middle of summer. I could be wrong, but, I just don't sense the same desire for this one. Red was a breath of fresh air for general audiences with its October release in 2010.

They got cocky.

• Like 1

The August date would have been good I think. Middle July is a little too in the heart of Summer for this kind of movie.

Edited by #MrPink of Steel
  • Like 3

MoS had better legs than DKR, which had better legs than IM3, which had better legs than MoS, which had worse legs than GL, which had better legs than Daredevil, which had worse legs than DKR, which-AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

• Like 4

None of that matters. The multipliers are what they are. No getting around it. We've seen movies have great legs in the face of competition before. IM3 could've done it. It didn't. 

Depending on the time of the year movies behave dramatically different, so all this talk of weekend multipliers is plain dumb. The more balanced way to do it is comparing the first seven days, why exclude the weekdays?

Red 2 looks like the 2nd most generic movie of the summer after AErff, and the most generic sequel. Its almost painful having to watch the trailer in theaters and all the jokes fall flat, even the body in the trunk one, which falls even flatter than in RIPD when Marissa Miller is thrown into the bus window. I don't see how this sequel adds anything new and this doesn't look like the type of movie to pay $11+ for. I can see this being big on Redbox though. I wouldn't be surprised if this finished under 75m.

Edited by LeFlop James