kayumanggi

INFERNO | 10.28.16 | Sony | final gross ● 34.34 M

I find it interesting that they skipped The Lost Symbol, it was in development for a while

From what I've heard - correct me if I'm wrong - perhaps the decision was made (by Sony?) to skip TLS because it was deemed too America-centric, and this franchise has always been bigger overseas? Or perhaps they took a look at the book's sales vs. Inferno's (particularly outside of US/Canada/UK) and chose to go with the bigger seller? Or maybe they chose to adapt the more recent book so it would still be relatively fresher in the mind?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

I remember there's a Minions movie. Oh, and Maze Runner 2. Yeah, I'll watch that. Anything else? 

Avengers 2

SpongeBob 2

The Secret Service 

Get Hard 

Fast and Furious 7 

Pitch Perfect 2

Mad Max - Fury Road

Tomorrowland 

Jurassic World

Inside Out 

Ted 2 

Terminator - Genysis 

Ant-Man

Trainwreck

Pixels (could be Sandler's first decent mainstream film since Wedding Singer) 

The Fantastic Four (could go either way... I liked Chronicle so I have high hopes for it) 

Straight Outta Compton 

Everest 

The Walk 

The Jungle Book 

Vacation (2015 sequel that hands the reigns to Rusty Griswold) 

St. James Place  (Spielberg's latest) 

Crimson Peak

The Conjuring 2 

Bond 24

Peanuts

Mockingjay Part 2

The Good Dinosaur

The Martian (could potentially be Scott's return to form alongside Exodus) 

Seth Rogen/JGL Christmas Dramedy 

Star Wars Episode VII 

Mission - Impossible V 

Kung Fu Panda 3 

Silence (Scorsese's latest)

Hateful Eight (QT's latest)

Whatever Woody Allen does 

Plus a slew of Oscar bait 

Avengers 2 - Another Marvel movie? No, thank you. The only one I really liked was the first Thor. And Cap 2 to some degree. So I'll definitely not see TA 2 in cinemas. I'll probably download it from Torrents if Idon't have anything else to watch.

SpongeBob 2 - Haven't seen the first one. So no interest.

The Secret Service- Nope.

Get Hard - Nope.  

Fast and Furious 7 - Yes, I'm excited for this.

Pitch Perfect 2 - Haven't even seen the first one.

Mad Max - Fury Road - I'll give this a try for Tele's sake. :P

Tomorrowland - Hm...maybe. I wanna see a trailer first.

Jurassic World - Not really excited for this one either. But I'll watch it at home.

Inside Out - An animation that's not Ice Age or DM... I don't think so.

Ted 2 - Yeah, the first one was funny. I'll see this one.

Terminator - Genysis - Hmm... maybe.

Ant-Man - Another Marvel movie that's not Thor. LOL.

Trainwreck - I have no clue what this is.

Pixels (could be Sandler's first decent mainstream film since Wedding Singer) - I don't like Sandler. 

The Fantastic Four (could go either way... I liked Chronicle so I have high hopes for it)  - I liked Chronicle also. Very very much. But I have no interest in seeing FF.

Straight Outta Compton - No clue what this is.

Everest - This might be interesting.

The Walk- ? 

The Jungle Book - Nope. 

Vacation (2015 sequel that hands the reigns to Rusty Griswold) - I have no clue what this is either.

St. James Place  (Spielberg's latest) - Hmmm...

Crimson Peak - Idk.

The Conjuring 2 - If someone else takes me to it I'd watch it.

Bond 24 - Yeah, forgot about this. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT.

Peanuts - No.

Mockingjay Part 2 - It all depends on how the first one is. The book was just bad.

The Good Dinosaur - No.

The Martian (could potentially be Scott's return to form alongside Exodus) - Yes.

Seth Rogen/JGL Christmas Dramedy - No. 

Star Wars Episode VII - The only SW movie I liked was ROTS and that because of Anakin and his antihero angle. But I'll download this after it gets in 1080p quality on Torrents.

Mission - Impossible V - Ah, forgot about this also. I'm very interested. 

Kung Fu Panda 3 - Haven't seen the first 2.

Silence (Scorsese's latest) - Uh... I have no clue.

Hateful Eight (QT's latest) - No.

Whatever Woody Allen does - Clearly no.

Plus a slew of Oscar bait - Unless is something like Gravity or ROTK no.

The bolded ones are the only ones I plan to see in theatres right now. Add to that Jupiter Ascending, 50 Shades (because I already have a dozen invites), Minions and Maze Runner 2. 

Edited by James

http://www.thewrap.com/x-men-life-of-pi-borgen-stars-join-tom-hanks-felicity-jones-in-ron-howards-inferno/

French actor Omar Sy (“X-Men: Days of Future Past”), Indian superstar Irrfan Khan (“Life of Pi”) and Danish actress Sidse Babett Knudsen (“Borgen”) will join two-time Oscar winner Tom Hanks and current Oscar nominee Felicity Jones in Ron Howard‘s latest Dan Brown adaptation “Inferno,” TheWrap has learned.

Howard and Brian Grazer will produce through their Imagine Entertainment banner, while author Brown will executive produce with Imagine’s Anna Culp, Bill Connor and David Householter. Michael De Luca and Andrea Giannetti will oversee the project for Columbia Pictures. Production starts at the end of April.

David Koepp wrote the script based on Brown’s book, which served as the follow-up to “The Lost Symbol.” Sony and Imagine opted to skip that entry in the Robert Langdon series, which has grossed more than $1.2 billion worldwide to date.

Indian Superstar? Irrfan Khan can't open a movie in India on the strength of his name, calling him a superstar in India is just plain wrong.

• Like 1

Inferno was better than Lost Symbol from what I hear.

It was. The Lost Symbol was basically recreating Da Vinci Code. Inferno didn't follow Brown's predictable pattern, and the twist was pretty well done (although it can't be quite pulled off in a similar manner in a movie since the twist relied on the reader making assumptions about the gender of a character who is addressed using gender-neutral words)

Inferno was better than Lost Symbol from what I hear.

It was. Mainly because the stakes were higher and because it was less abstract. And the Italian/European culture described is older and more complex and interesting than the american one (no offense to America).

It was. The Lost Symbol was basically recreating Da Vinci Code. Inferno didn't follow Brown's predictable pattern, and the twist was pretty well done (although it can't be quite pulled off in a similar manner in a movie since the twist relied on the reader making assumptions about the gender of a character who is addressed using gender-neutral words)

I'm glad I read Inferno before reading this post. Your last reference to the twist would have given it away for me. :D  I would have been looking for gender neutral references.  :P

• Like 2