baumer

Tues #s RTH

I'm very curious how Jupiter Ascending will perform next July now. Like PR it's a high concept sci-fi fantasy with 'fanboy directors' behind it. Unlike PR the cast has actual stars (Channing Tatum, Mila Kunis) and WB is paying for more than 25% of the budget. The Wachowskis are overdue for a hit but it's opening in a tight spot. Marketing better be pretty fantastic.

I think WB sees Pacific Rim as a fluke. Mid/late July has been their power slot since The Dark Knight, technically Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix. Expect a great marketing presence for Jupiter Ascending this time next year. Fact that they're not attending Comic-Con is a foot in the right direction.

Why exactly was Rise of the Guardians doomed because of the studio?

It was the last DreamWorks film being distributed under Paramount, and they completely dropped the ball on the marketing. It's not hard to see why, as making it a hit would only give Fox a new franchise under their belt.

I think WB sees Pacific Rim as a fluke. Mid/late July has been their power slot since The Dark Knight, technically Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix. Expect a great marketing presence for Jupiter Ascending this time next year. Fact that they're not attending Comic-Con is a foot in the right direction.

Why do you say that?

and I thought Cavill and Snyder were going to comic-con. They're not repping Warner?

I'm sure they would have taken it there if they had footage to present. Comic-Con isn't a problem if you can still market the film to a wider audience. Look at MOS and the Marvel movies which have premiered footage there over the years. But you need to excite more than a niche audience and PR just didn't do that. At least Godzilla, which is going the CC route, has a brand name behind it.

• Like 1

Why do you say that?

and I thought Cavill and Snyder were going to comic-con. They're not repping Warner?

Obvious why. They're not focusing their attention on the fanboy/geek dollar. AKA those who are already going to see it. But instead everyone else. Make their big "First Look" splash elsewhere, which is smart.

Cavill and Snyder are there to celebrate Superman anniversary and possibly announce the Man of Steel sequel. Not the same thing, chief.

First it has the biggest Monday drop in the top ten . Then only a small Tursday increase. Yet it's still doing "good"? Take off the fanboy blinders please

Who said it was doing good? I am a fan of the film but I still live in reality. The number is not awful but definitely not good. It is mediocre. Let's not call Pacific Rim a complete failure until the second weekend and see how it holds overseas. 

First it has the biggest Monday drop in the top ten . Then only a small Tursday increase. Yet it's still doing "good"? Take off the fanboy blinders please

After a softest drop Sunday.We need to wait for today's drop to see how it'll perform this weekend and onwards.

I wouldn't say it's bad either. That said, it's somewhat troubling the two flicks ahead of it increased more from Monday to Tuesday. Also, with all the new releases slated for this weekend and such a moderate increase, I'm expecting a sub-$16M second frame's all but assured. It's Monday to Tuesday increase's nearly identical to The Lone Ranger's first Monday to Tuesday increase, which was 10%. It could plummet as much as 60% this weekend. The marketplace is going to be crowded as hell.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

I wouldn't say it's bad either. That said, it's somewhat troubling the two flicks ahead of it increased more from Monday to Tuesday. Also, with all the new releases slated for this weekend and such a moderate increase, I'm expecting a sub-$16M second frame's all but assured. It's Monday to Tuesday increase's nearly identical to The Lone Ranger's first Monday to Tuesday increase, which was 10%. It could plummet as much as 60% this weekend. The marketplace is going to be crowded as hell.

It faces less competition on its second weekend than Lone Ranger did. It should fall less than 60%. 

The biggest movie news today so far - SharkNado is getting a sequel set in NYC, and Twitter will be used to name the sequel:  http://tvline.com/2013/07/17/sharknado-2-sequel-attacks-new-york-city/

As for the official title to the inevitable follow-up, Syfy is apparently turning a blind eye to my Sharknado vs. Piranhacane idea and instead opening it up to fans. So go ahead, tweet your suggested subtitle forSharknado 2: ______ to @SyfyMovies, using the #Sharknado hashtag, and the cabler Syfy will select the best submission in time for the sequel’s 2014 release

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3

It faces less competition on its second weekend than Lone Ranger did. It should fall less than 60%. 

Why would you say that? Lone Ranger faced Pacific Rim and Grown Ups... The grossed just under $80M. You don't believe The Conjuring, R.I.P.D, Turbo and Red 2 will amount to nearly $80M in total this coming weekend? I do...

Turbo further steals the child demo, while R.I.P.D and Red 2 will draw in action fans with The Conjuring stealing the young adult and teen demo. I doubt any of 'em, aside from The Conjuring, open very big. But, in total, the four new releases should soak up $75M+.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Why would you say that? Lone Ranger faced Pacific Rim and Grown Ups... The grossed just under $80M. You don't believe The Conjuring, R.I.P.D, Turbo and Red 2 will amount to nearly $80M in total this coming weekend? I do... Turbo further steals the child demo, while R.I.P.D and Red 2 will draw in action fans with The Conjuring stealing the young adult and teen demo. I doubt any of 'em, aside from The Conjuring, open very big. But, in total, the four new releases should soak up $75M+.

I'm thinking more like 100m+.