Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

This has been a rather transformative year for how we see the internet.

The Icloud scandal shows privacy does not exist online and now a movie has been cancelled from hacker threats. 

Coming off 2013, one of the most important years for the Internet, given the controversy surrounding government surveillance. 

• Like 1

Absolutely awful precedent and incredibly cowardly act by Sony AND movie chains.  Way to ruin the hard work of thousands to appease threats of terrorism from one of the world's most oppressive, human-rights violating regimes. As someone who is an actor just for fun, I can only imagine how people who do it for a living feel- an implicit message that our hard work, cultural connections,  and freedom of expression pales in comparison to bullshit threats. I'm fucking pissed, man. Stupid.

• Like 5

I live in South Korea and I can say this type of brinkmanship/avoiding blame is typical of North Korea. We give them food and essential supplies and they repay us by bombing our islands, torpedoing our ships killing tourists on neutral ground etc etc . Threats of nuclear annihilation is almost a yearly tradition now and goes mostly ignored by the general public. The reason North Korea continues with this tactic is because they think it works (and sad to say it does to an extent). They've played the "we'll stop our nuclear program in return for aid" card several times now and got something in return each time. Sony should hire anonymous hackers of their own to hack their state media and show this film in every screen across North Korea as a big F you to them. 

• Like 6

Absolutely awful precedent and incredibly cowardly act by Sony AND movie chains.  Way to ruin the hard work of thousands to appease threats of terrorism from one of the world's most oppressive, human-rights violating regimes. As someone who is an actor just for fun, I can only imagine how people who do it for a living feel- an implicit message that our hard work, cultural connections,  and freedom of expression pales in comparison to bullshit threats. I'm fucking pissed, man. Stupid.

This about sums up my opinion on the subject.

The real cultrip is the theater chains, though. Not Sony. Sony simply pulled it because it wasn't worth releasing it after that.

Coming off 2013, one of the most important years for the Internet, given the controversy surrounding government surveillance. 

Lesson learned.

The Government lied and is spying on you. (Snowden)

Privacy does not exist online, thus you should act accordingly. (Icloud)

If you have a business you are one computer hack from being possibile ruined. (Sony Hack(

how many warning points do I get for calling John Marston a ...?

If you thought that was bad, I can't wait until you catch a couple other posts from some other people here :P

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2

how many warning points do I get for calling John Marston a stupid motherfucker?

I think there is no reason to call each other names. 

I think people may feel right as they feel morally right on this issue, but imo likely sets a course for a more uncivil forum. 

Cmasterclay summed up far more effectively why this is a bad thing then any name calling so far. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

This about sums up my opinion on the subject.

The real cultrip is the theater chains, though. Not Sony. Sony simply pulled it because it wasn't worth releasing it after that.

I can't really agree with that. If cinemas were exclusively at fault, and Sony still wanted to release the movie, then they would release it on VOD to regain some of the huge losses. Instead, they have decided to throw away the entire thing. Both parties are to blame (possibly government too).

I'm sure they had no idea hackers would go to these lengths. Its not just a question of offending north korea, it's about where is the line between real life and fiction and how far can you take a joke.

Hindsight is great but no one predicted this so it wasnt a bad business decision imo. On its own merits this movie, the premise, its stars, the budget is actually a good business decision which should have yielded a healthy profit. I think most studios would have fallen for the pitch and sony just happena to be the unlucky one who got burnt.

Had it been Warner, Fox, or Disney behind the movie the hackers would have failed though, Sony is just a weak studio.

I am disappointed in them cutting the movie though, the damage is done and i just want to see if it was really worth the hassle.

I am also disappointed because pulling the movie means the hackers win.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 4

I don't even care for the movie or Seth Rogen, and I agree with this wholeheartedly.  Let's just all live in caves now to be safe, right?

Had it been Warner, Fox, or Disney behind the movie the hackers would have failed though, Sony is just a weak studio.

I am disappointed in them cutting the movie though, the damage is done and i just want to see if it was really worth the hassle.

Yeah I'm not so sure about that.

• Like 1

Just imagine Rupert Murdoch VS the hackers!