Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

Not to tempt fate, but theaters backing out of this film because NK said there would terrorist attacks, I mean, really?  What exactly is NK going to do?  Someone please tell me.

North Korea bombing cinemas in the US, even if somehow they were a threat to all 3500 cinemas this would play at, would result in war. The threats were never even remotely something to worry about.

• Like 1

North Korea bombing cinemas in the US, even if somehow they were a threat to all 3500 cinemas this would play at, would result in war. The threats were never even remotely something to worry about.

And I agree with this, so why would they pull the film?  To me, as others have mentioned, there's something more nefarious at work here.  I have no idea what it is, but this seems absurd.

• Like 1

Can anyone blame Sony??

*Imagine* if they did show it and something terrible happened, imagine how awful that would be. They had no choice. Need to think about the risk.

This thread should be moved now, let's face it, there will be no box office to discuss.

If something happened, then you are war with the USA.  Are they really that stupid to start a war with a country that could wipe you off the face of the earth in about a month?

• Like 3

And I agree with this, so why would they pull the film?  To me, as others have mentioned, there's something more nefarious at work here.  I have no idea what it is, but this seems absurd.

It's even stranger because the film would have sold a lot of tickets. All this controversy has been giving the film what is arguably one of the best marketing campaigns in years.

I agree, I'm not convinced it was all their choice. Same goes for the end result - cinemas aren't responsible for the film not releasing because if Sony wanted to release it but is being blocked by cinemas, they would put it on VOD. But they have said they don't want it to release in any shape. The film's release was the only silver lining of this situation, so you'd think cancelling the film altogether would be the last thing Sony and the cinema chains want.

• Like 2

Can anyone blame Sony??

*Imagine* if they did show it and something terrible happened, imagine how awful that would be. They had no choice. Need to think about the risk.

This thread should be moved now, let's face it, there will be no box office to discuss.

Lack of box office is still box office and this is probably the biggest box office story of 2014.

Could the reason for the film being completely cancelled (incl. vod) simply be that Sony intends to release it in a few months once the dust has settled? It wouldn't make as much money as it would now but they will want their money back. Though that wouldn't quite make sense, if they think it'll be safe later on then surely they're not falling for the empty threats right now.

Yeah, Sony must have fear of some really bad stuff getting out if they're apparently that willing to throw away a nearly $50M investment.

Much more than $50 million, probably closer to $100 million when you add in marketing.

Dunno if this was posted but cancelling post theatrical VOD home media could be due to insurance - they won't cover partial loss only full.

@THRMattBelloni: Why did Sony scrap VOD for The Interview? Insurance, a (non-sony) source tells me. A total loss invokes full coverage, partial doesn't.

https://twitter.com/THRMattBelloni/status/545420179832713218

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 2

Can anyone blame Sony??

As Captain America would say, cost of freedom is high. If something of that nature happened neither Sony nor the theaters wouldn't have 1% of the blame.

Also, the hackers threatened leaking practically all of their 2015 movies. That would be a financial catastrophe. I don't think Sony could recover from that.

I don't approve Sony canceling the film, but I can understand why they did it

• Like 1

Pop quiz: you're releasing a film next week and you're getting terroist threats. What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?

Different keanu movie but this quote can work for the situation as well

"90 seconds Johnny. That's all I ask for, just 90 seconds of your life Johnny, that's it. This is our tactic, is we strike fear. Once you get them peeing down their leg, they submit. Also about fear, fear causes hesitation, and hesitation, causes your worst fears to come true."

Bohdi is the hacker!?!

Edited by RaidensSword