Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

Yes the threat looks childish and amateurish and wishful thinking but how can we know for sure those guys can or cannot provoke more damage than they already have ?

It s easy to play the tough guy behind your computer when you are not directly concerned. That fact that the promotion of the movie has been cancelled shows that Sony is afraid because the damages they already suffered is already way too big for just one movie.

Or maybe they just don't want Rogen/Franco to be asked a bunch of questions about the "terrorist threats." As I said before, the movie no longer needs the stars to promote it.

The hackers have sent this new message threatening a 9/11 style attack

That must be why the premiere was locked down.

I don't see how cancelling their appearances helps, rogen and franco are both funny guys, it would be better for them to go on these shows and say "forget all this terrorist crap, people need to lighten up. its a comedy movie thats funny, go out and enjoy it."

Edited by RaidensSword

Well, Rogen/Franco don't even need to promote the movie anymore. It's taken a life of its own after all this.

I will say, though, that this movie has received a kind of hype that hasn't been since...I don't know, The Blair Witch Project? :lol:

Oh please!

It's not hype. No one is mentioning how good or funny the film is. People are just talking about the face someone found it offensive.

That ain't hype.

There are liability issues. If there are threats and something happens then Sony and the theaters will be liable for damages. I don't think they will pull the movie but they have to take the threats seriously even if they are BS.

I am guessing they ask for some local police to be at theaters like after Colorado movie theater shooting. 

If it isnt north korea what would other hackers get from threatening the public or drawing more attention to themselves like this? They already got whatever info they wanted from the hack.

I don't think these are North Koreans. My guess is that since the hack is so personal the hackers are ex-employees or contractors who worked for Sony and feel they got fucked over by the studio. They asked for ransom even before the hacking took place. Now both sides are using North Korea to deflect attention. The hackers are trying to save their ass and Sony is doing this to play the victim of big, bad Kim Jong-Un.

• Like 2

I don't think these are North Koreans. My guess is that since the hack is so personal the hackers are ex-employees or contractors who worked for Sony and feel they got fucked over by the studio. They asked for ransom even before the hacking took place. Now both sides are using North Korea to deflect attention. The hackers are trying to save their ass and Sony is doing this to play the victim of big, bad Kim Jong-Un.

And now current and former employees are suing them http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11297327/Sony-hack-latest-employees-sue-firm-for-failing-to-protect-their-data.html

If it did get cancelled or theaters didnt show it because of these threats that would set a pretty significant precedent for future movies that might offend, comedies or religious movies even political ones.

that's pretty dumb.

I'm not doubting that all the emails that have been leaked are real. It's that threat message that reads as if it was filtered through Google Translate (really, if the hackers were to make an actual threat, I imagine they would use proper English sentence structure and word choice) that sticks out as pretty odd. I guess we'll know the day after Christmas. Unless the movie really is pulled.

lol

at this point, just cancel the thing.  I get why they don't business-wise, but this is getting ridiculous.  They may as well just release it on OnDemand or straight to dvd to get around it all

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2