Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

Does anyone like Seth Rogen movies?  Did critics respond favourably to Neighbors?  Just curious.

Surely you've heard of rotten tomatoes.

But yeah his films have been pretty damn successful lately, and with the exception of Green Hornet (which still did well) all his films tend to get good reviews. Ive found stoner movies tend to get positive reviews though, surprisingly. Weed is awesome I guess.

Still, I found Neighbours quite funny but it was a big disappointment coming off those trailer, I expected so much more and think it could have been as big as The Hangover if it was as good as it looked. A bit of a wasted opportunity there I think.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

"The head explosion has been considerably obscured by the fire." immediately made me think of what Spielberg had to do with Belloq's death scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark to avoid an R rating - considerably obscure a head explosion by fire.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

The Sony CEO reportedly toned down the film. So if it had been "brave" at one point, it's not anymore

http://www.thewrap.com/nyt-expose-sony-ceo-kazuo-hirai-toned-down-assassination-of-kim-jong-un-in-the-interview/

Correct. Sony is a coward. Maybe North Korea can bully Sony into giving the Spider-Man film rights back to Marvel.

Correct. Sony is a coward. Maybe North Korea can bully Sony into giving the Spider-Man film rights back to Marvel.

They weren't cowardly enough if you ask me. Why would a business fuck with a country like North Korea ? What benefit do you get from such a confrontation ? Do you think Disney is going to pick a fight with North Korea or China ? I didn't think so.

They weren't cowardly enough if you ask me. Why would a business fuck with a country like North Korea ? What benefit do you get from such a confrontation ? Do you think Disney is going to pick a fight with North Korea or China ? I didn't think so.

I agree. Why should Japan suffer due to a crappy American movie.

If the movie was good, i would have a different opinion.

• Like 1

I support the idea of them not bowing down to north korea, it is just a comedy movie after all. However I am curious about the reaction in america if another country made a similar movie replacing the Korean leader for the president.

• Like 1

I support the idea of them not bowing down to north korea, it is just a comedy movie after all. However I am curious about the reaction in america if another country made a similar movie replacing the Korean leader for the president.

This has nothing to do with bowing down. When you are running a business then the cost-benefit analysis is important. If The Interview does well it may make over $500 million but was it worth all the headache and the losses they will suffer ? Hell No. This hack has the potential to take down a movie studio. Reuters estimated a loss in excess of $100 million last week but there is also a good chance that they are going to get sued by the affected parties for hundreds of millions more.

• Like 1

Correct. Sony is a coward. Maybe North Korea can bully Sony into giving the Spider-Man film rights back to Marvel.

you're a joke, seriously. Are you siding with the terrorists just because you want the characters back to Marvel? We are talking about a studio here, hundreds of jobs at stake.

About the coward part, tell me more about Disney changing Mandarin ethnicity to cater to the chinese audience.

you're a joke, seriously. Are you siding with the terrorists just because you want the characters back to Marvel? We are talking about a studio here, hundreds of jobs at stake.

About the coward part, tell me more about Disney changing Mandarin ethnicity to cater to the chinese audience.

What are you talking about? What is mentally wrong with you? I clearly said Sony are cowards, which flat out states I don't agree with them caving to North Korean demands. Then, I sarcastically mention the Spider-Man rights, and you get your sensitive panties in a bunch.

Then, just to contradict your whole point (after calling ME a joke), you agree with caving in to North Korean demands.

So lets sum up your whole stupid point: just an ad-hominem attack on me. You contradict yourself throughout your post.

Stop acting like a fool.

And the the frontrunner for silliest post of the week is...

Yeah....what an idiot I was to make a film about assassinating the leader of North Korea. Then, finding out that North Korea would be offended by that idea. I mean who EVER could have seen that coming? It was quite the shock. NO ONE could have predicted that. Oh no....wait....that wasn't me, that was Sony.

But, don't worry, because once they "surprisingly" and "shockingly" found out North Korea was actually offended by this idea, what did they do:

A-scrap the whole project

B- make enough changes to change the whole ridiculous plot

C- Change one offensive part of the movie

If you answered C, then you have a future as a Sony film executive.

If you're going to make a film, then have some artistic integrity. Clearly, the movie was a stupid idea in the first place and only a complete moron would think that North Korea wouldn't be offended by the whole movie. But, they chose to make that movie, so stand by it and don't act surprised when the obvious happens.

Edited by Walt Disney

This has nothing to do with bowing down. When you are running a business then the cost-benefit analysis is important. If The Interview does well it may make over $500 million but was it worth all the headache and the losses they will suffer ? Hell No. This hack has the potential to take down a movie studio. Reuters estimated a loss in excess of $100 million last week but there is also a good chance that they are going to get sued by the affected parties for hundreds of millions more.

I'm sure they had no idea hackers would go to these lengths. Its not just a question of offending north korea, it's about where is the line between real life and fiction and how far can you take a joke.

Hindsight is great but no one predicted this so it wasnt a bad business decision imo. On its own merits this movie, the premise, its stars, the budget is actually a good business decision which should have yielded a healthy profit. I think most studios would have fallen for the pitch and sony just happena to be the unlucky one who got burnt.