Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

You do know that with The Interview being apprutly cancelled this leaves movie theaters with one extra theater for holdovers. Some holdover movie (Dumb & Dumber, Interstellar, Big Hero 6) will get that extra week. 

interstellar-mcconaughey.png?w=642

(They're probably more likely to allocate the extra screen to new openers)

• Like 1

Is anyone else really bummed about this? I wasn't all that excited to see the movie but...this sets such an awful precedent. I'd blame theater chains more than Sony, though, they were the ones who balked first.

Trust me, you're not the only one pissed

• Like 1

Is anyone else really bummed about this? I wasn't all that excited to see the movie but...this sets such an awful precedent. I'd blame theater chains more than Sony, though, they were the ones who balked first.

They blamed Sony though. Regal said Sony was "wavering in its support" of the film, so it doesn't sound like Sony was pushing hard for the movie to be shown.

• Like 1

Tbh both the theater chains and Sony let us down big time today. I don't know which we should be more angry at.

Seriously, come on pirate kings. Now is your chance to prove you promote freedom of speech and entitlement to art or whatever it is you proclaim and leak this sucker big time.

• Like 2

Tbh both the theater chains and Sony let us down big time today. I don't know which we should be more angry at.

Seriously, come on pirate kings. Now is your chance to prove you promote freedom of speech and entitlement to art or whatever it is you proclaim and leak this sucker big time.

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If they hadn't pulled the movie, then Christmas day(one of the busiest of the year) might have seen a huge decrease overall due to the public fearing an attack.  So then every studio takes a hit in the process.  Sony is already incredibly fucked right now and this may have been partly them falling on the sword.

But it sets up dangerous precedent for God knows what else.

It's just a fucked up, terrible situation.

It's also super fucking depressing 

Edited by Boner Omega
  • Like 1

They blamed Sony though. Regal said Sony was "wavering in its support" of the film, so it doesn't sound like Sony was pushing hard for the movie to be shown.

I'm sure that hasn't stopped a countless number of movies from being exhibited before. Sony didn't seem to mind all that much until after the threats came in and they said that they were understanding if theaters wouldn't show the film, which set off a chain reaction, and in the end Sony had to cave and cancel the release. So really, it's both parties fault.

I still believe this would've never occurred in a world where Aurora never happened. With that still being so fresh in everyone's mind, theaters being hesistant when it comes to such threats are understandable. That said, once the hacker(s) has been found, it would be stupid not to take advantage of all this free publicity and release the film if all of this proves to be empty threats. Although it's looking more and more likely it might never see the light of day. Regardless of the movie's possible merits or lack thereof, that's just really, really sad.