Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

I know the FBI said that the NORTH KOREA is behind the hack, but I won't be surprised that someone at SONY is behind all the drama to generate more interest on the film. Good or bad is still a publicity.

At this point I'd doubt it. They're doing a limited release and VOD, and the hack has cost them hundreds of millions. There's no profit from this.

• Like 4

I know the FBI said that the NORTH KOREA is behind the hack, but I won't be surprised that someone at SONY is behind all the drama to generate more interest on the film. Good or bad is still a publicity.

That's what I thought at first, but then they had a bunch of private documents leaked and it's pretty clear that it's a serious hack/infiltration.

• Like 1

The Playstation Network hack costed around 170 mil for Sony and that was a much much smaller scale hack. Even if The Interview somehow reaches Hangover levels at the boxoffice, Sony will still suffer losses of millions. So the "Hacks was Sony's marketing ploy from the start" consipracy theories are ridiculous.

• Like 2

The hack is obviously not a publicity thing but I am not sure about the North Korean link either. The hackers are supposedly from Thailand. They could be working for NK or they may just be using North Korea as a misdirection. My theory is that these are people who feel they were fucked up by Sony Pictures and are now trying to get even with them.

10 minutes from my house...

IOOHiQV.png

YES

About 10 to 15 minutes from my house as well. Ironically playing at a theater that has cheap tickets, especially by California standards. I should probably fandango my ticket since it is likely to sell out on Christmas. On another note, this theater is also one of those small theaters that pretty much plays popular films so it is funny to see a film like The Interview not going wide and not exactly playing at true Indie theaters. Well, some are in spirit, but this theater isn't one of those theaters.

Edited by CloneWars
  • Like 2

So they changed this to a platform release huh? The IMDb 9.9/10 rating is a prime example of how we will not be ruled by communist state. Or it may just be a prime example of how gullible we all are.  This movie just became our new national anthem. :P

• Like 1

Hollywood Reporter is now saying that if no one agrees to a VOD release (iTunes, Comcast, DirectTV, and inDemand have all passed), the major chains will very, very likely end up showing the film.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hack-studio-wont-provide-760133

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Hollywood Reporter is now saying that if no one agrees to a VOD release (iTunes, Comcast, DirectTV, and inDemand have all passed), the major chains will very, very likely end up showing the film.

Hopefully nobody agrees.

• Like 1

This makes zero sense. What idiot would put together a massive, international government involving (and surely illegal if true) marketing campaign like this, only to lose most of their theaters, not have a wide release, and make less money than they would having this go wide and bomb?

Like...really? This makes sense to you? Even if somehow it goes wide, how could anyone plan this out?

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 3

Why are the vod companies still passing? They think their website and will get brought down or something?

• Like 1