CJohn

Avatar: Fire and Ash | December 19, 2025 | RIP Jon Landau

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

TWoW was basically a reintroduction to the world of Pandora, but now that we got that out of the way, it’s time to up the ante. 

It helps there is only a 3 year gap between movies this time and not a 13 year one.

Way of Water did a great job making the audience care about the main characters, old and new. If they up the emotional stakes while keeping the quality the same as the last two, this is going fucking explode. Especially with the open runway this has. It's a fucking a ghost town for blockbusters for months after this releases. 

• Heart 1

The concept art looks incredible and can't wait to see the eventual trailer. The concept of the Nav'i being the oppressors is an interesting development. 

But my God, Jake Sully was the most character I was unable to connect with in the last film. Really unlikable. 

5 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

Way of Water did a great job making the audience care about the main characters, old and new. If they up the emotional stakes while keeping the quality the same as the last two, this is going fucking explode. Especially with the open runway this has. It's a fucking a ghost town for blockbusters for months after this releases. 

Agreed. Given all the fresh elements that Cameron is bringing to the table a lot of people will be positively surprised. The narrative of Avatar being “a remake bla bla always the same thing” will be over.

• Like 1

I was underwhelmed with Avatar 2, i think it was lacking interesting human characters. The heart of the first movie was having a paralysed human finally be able to walk again. 2 seems to put too much faith in just Navi characters and rather than feeling like a movie 13 years in the making, it felt more like a movie that took 10 years to decide to make and 3 years actually making 

8 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

he always raise the emotional stakes in his sequels.

358fc968f957730a58afad07cb30635f420c0af7

tumblr_pmg4rv18pg1uphxvgo1_540.gifv

I believe Avatar 3 will drop from the second which had the benefit of like 12 years of anticipation and inflation. Hopefully it'll be the better movie. Not that Way of Water was bad but i have very high standards when it comes to a James Cameron movie. Good is not good enough.

25 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

I was underwhelmed with Avatar 2, i think it was lacking interesting human characters. The heart of the first movie was having a paralysed human finally be able to walk again. 2 seems to put too much faith in just Navi characters and rather than feeling like a movie 13 years in the making, it felt more like a movie that took 10 years to decide to make and 3 years actually making 

somehow I think I share a similar opinion with you. The sacredness around those elements of first one like Eywa has mostly gone in Way of Water. While I like the arc of Quaritch and his relationship with Spider, but his journey in that one could have been more epic and strange in a good way. Bringing us a more different perspective on Pandora & Na'vi.

• Like 2

Lot of spicy entertaining bits in this interview, but as far as objective concerns about the franchise's future goes, here's what he just said about directing afterwards:

James Cameron Interview: Avatar 3, Alien: Romulus, Terminator Zero (hollywoodreporter.com)

Do you still plan to personally direct four and five? [It was previously reported Cameron might not].

Sure. Absolutely. I mean, they’re going to have to stop me. I got plenty of energy, love doing what I’m doing. Why would I not? And they’re written, by the way. I just reread both of them about a month ago. They’re cracking stories. They’ve got to get made. Look, if I get hit by a bus and I’m in an iron lung, somebody else is going to do it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Torontofan said:

These movies are more visual escapism

Way of Water is the most beautiful looking blockbuster film i seen and blows recent CGI Films by years in look. 

Yes it's visual escapism, but it also has to hook you emotionally - which is something Cameron has done in all his films.

11 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Yes it's visual escapism, but it also has to hook you emotionally - which is something Cameron has done in all his films.

Its very basic emotions but it is very widely appealing and across cultures.

Guy wants to protect this family and we get to see cool visuals.

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

China is not what it used to be for Hollywood movies as far as i understand.

Avatar 2 made $247M in a COVID-wrecked China, Avatar is just built different there. Way of Water made $1.390B OS-China

Edited by HummingLemon496