Neo

The Fate of the Furious | 4.14.2017

6 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

No, they can't go bald, or maybe both.

Hmm, now that you mentioned that, it comes to my awareness that it wasn't specified which part of the body the hair loss would take place. Oh, well...

Edited by incognitoo
  • Like 1

Watched this today. Overall, it is middle of the pack for the Fast movies. I would go 5 7 6 1 8 2 3 4

Statham was definitely the standout. The Rock and Diesel not being in the same room is very very evident throughout the movie. Definitely the weirdest framing and cutting to achieve the effect of their conversations since The Good Wife's main characters could not stand each other. 

The ending felt like a nice wrap-up to everything even if there are no further movies (but we will get one in 2 years' time anyway). I would personally like them to take like 5 years off and come back since the ending almost suggested that, but hey Franchises Gonna Franchise.

A couple things felt like they rushed the resolution to in order to begin with a clean slate

Spoiler

Statham's rehabilitation - this guy killed Han and tried to kill everyone else and it is practically hand waved away

The actual plot resolution - that was basically 5D chess which somehow worked out

Killing off the Brazilian lady so that Dom and Letty can have the kid and be a FAMILY together without any complications

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

Even without China, that's a monstrous opening overseas. Someone here said it best: this might be the biggest franchise in the world right now outside of North America.

No doubt, Star Wars seems unbeatable domestic.

If SW7 did not show that, Rogue one clearly did.

However as of now FF will be the only film series with two films with over a billion overseas. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

44 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Does that mean that women can't drive fast?

No, but they become sexier.

Which leads to less tickets, which leads to faster speeds, and you see the (not so) viscous cycle.

• Like 1

The Fate of the Furious    Uni.    $532.5

That is HUGE.

Thats-What-She-Said-Michael-Scott-Last-E

But in all seriousness, even w/it barely cracking 100M in the US (if it even did so ;)), it still beat TFA. That's just mindblowing. This is the alpha male of OS franchises, that's for sure. And honestly, between this and xXx 3, Vin Diesel is easily the biggest Hollywood star and maybe the biggest star period in China right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

Even without China, that's a monstrous opening overseas. Someone here said it best: this might be the biggest franchise in the world right now outside of North America.

hmm...I put Avengers and IM above F&F even outside Dom.

F6's OS-China was 484, and F8's OS-China might not match that. It's certainly top 5 OS - TA, IM, F&F, TF, SW in no particular order.

(I am not including Avatar because the 2nd one is releasing next century)

Edited by a2knet

11 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

No doubt, Star Wars seems unbeatable domestic.

If SW7 did not show that, Rogue one clearly did.

However as of now FF will be the only film series with two films with over a billion overseas. 

I don't think F8 is making it to 1 billion OS. 900, maybe 950 OS, yes.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

With a 430M OS-alone OW? Doubt it doesn't, unless it's vastly frontloaded. It's got no competition until Guardians 2, whose OS rollout is only 2 weeks from now.

With nearly 200m coming from China, where legs are typically shorter. A 2.1x multiplier or something along those lines would be pretty normal. I would expect something 525 OS, 425 China. Maybe I'm missing something tbh.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Watched this today. Overall, it is middle of the pack for the Fast movies. I would go 5 7 6 1 8 2 3 4

Statham was definitely the standout. The Rock and Diesel not being in the same room is very very evident throughout the movie. Definitely the weirdest framing and cutting to achieve the effect of their conversations since The Good Wife's main characters could not stand each other. 

The ending felt like a nice wrap-up to everything even if there are no further movies (but we will get one in 2 years' time anyway). I would personally like them to take like 5 years off and come back since the ending almost suggested that, but hey Franchises Gonna Franchise.

A couple things felt like they rushed the resolution to in order to begin with a clean slate

Hide contents

Statham's rehabilitation - this guy killed Han and tried to kill everyone else and it is practically hand waved away

The actual plot resolution - that was basically 5D chess which somehow worked out

Killing off the Brazilian lady so that Dom and Letty can have the kid and be a FAMILY together without any complications

The last five movies all feel like they could be the last movie of they wanted it to be. I kind of like that though as it shows they want to do everything they can in one movie and make it its own thing instead of just being trailers for the next one 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, a2knet said:

hmm...I put Avengers and IM above F&F even outside Dom.

Will see, how F8 will end up because it is close:

OS minus China

Force Awaken: 1007 million

Last Potter movie: 900 million

Avengers: 809 million

Furious 7: 773 million

Age of Ultron: 706 million

Iron Man 3: 685 million

Civil War: 555 million

Fantastic Beast: 496 million

Rogue One: 453 million

Edited by Barnack

14 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't think F8 is making it to 1 billion OS. 900, maybe 950 OS, yes.

Very hard to miss 1b.

Lets say it does 225 dom (just 2.25 multiplier). Then it needs 775 OS.

It made 85 on Wed and Thu and about 345 over FSS.

If it has only a 2x mult from the 3-day (not even the 5-day) OS, then it does 85 + 345*2 = 775

That takes it to 1b WW.

12 minutes ago, MrPink said:

With nearly 200m coming from China, where legs are typically shorter. A 2.1x multiplier or something along those lines would be pretty normal. I would expect something 525 OS, 425 China.

China is still technically only half of OS if OW is any indication. The movie evidently plays very well in Europe and South America as well, so don't count those out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Very hard to miss 1b.

Lets say it does 225 dom (just 2.25 multiplier). Then it needs 775 OS.

It made 85 on Wed and Thu and about 345 over FSS.

If it has only a 2x mult from the 3-day (not even the 5-day) OS, then it does 85 + 345*2 = 775

That takes it to 1b WW.

I am talking 1 billion OS, not WW. 1 billion WW is locked. But I'm not too certain on the breakdown on how far down F8 is compared to say F7, and whether other territories are making up for it

Really, I'd be totally cool if FF8 was the 2nd highest grossing film of the year WW, 1 billion OS would ensure that more or less.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1