Neo

The Fate of the Furious | 4.14.2017

Just now, MrPink said:

I am talking 1 billion OS, not WW. But I'm not too certain on the breakdown on how far down F8 is compared to say F7, and whether other territories are making up for it

Oh shit. sorry. yeah I don't see 1b OS either. 875-925 probably.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Will see, how F8 will end up because it is close:

OS minus China

Force Awaken: 1007 million

Last Potter movie: 900 million

Avengers: 809 million

Furious 7: 773 million

Age of Ultron: 706 million

Iron Man 3: 685 million

Civil War: 555 million

Rogue One: 523 million

Fantastic Beast: 496 million

Rogue One is $453m without China.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

People expecting GOTGV2 to be some marketplace-slaughtering juggernaut are likely headed for a certain degree of disappointment.

A marketing slaughtering juggernaut actually works better for holdovers than a movie which performs fine but not on a giant breakout level. Big breakouts lead to plenty of spillover sellouts and holdovers benefiting. When TDK, Avengers, JW, TFA or even BATB opened, the holdovers all fell between 40-55% showing the advantage of a breakout boosting the holdovers. Compare to something that opens around expected marks, let's take Fantastic Beasts which opened around the 75-80M range everyone expected, it hogs screens, does not bring extra traffic in and lead to mega sellouts and spillovers, causes movies to fall 50-65% because of lost screenspace.

• Like 2

Spoiler

An article discussing Deckard's redemption arc.

http://www.thewrap.com/fitting-jason-statham-join-fast-family-fate-furious-commentary/

Dom knows as well as anyone that what you’ve done in the past doesn’t have to define who you are in the future. You can be better. And being part of the family can make you better than better, because together they become so much more.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jay Beezy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I mean that's cool and all but boy still killed Han and was like five seconds from killing Brian's kid.

• Like 4

Just now, Jay Beezy said:

You can read the entire article.

I probably should've but I wanted to get my zinger out of the way.

Spoiler

I'm glad they did turn him but even after reading the article it's still pretty stupid. But I'm not complaining.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I probably should've but I wanted to get my zinger out of the way.

Hide contents

I'm glad they did turn him but even after reading the article it's still pretty stupid. But I'm not complaining.

Spoiler

They bring up how Dom himself was a reprehensible human once in his life so perhaps the next movie will show Deckard not out of the hen house just yet. Thing is Dom's POV of Deckard is different from the the rest of the team because he's on Cipher's side for the time being. Essentially why he goes to meet Deckard's mom and talked to her about how they're both unable to see their sons.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

Hide contents

They bring up how Dom himself was a reprehensible human once in his life so perhaps the next movie will show Deckard not out of the hen house just yet. Thing is Dom's POV of Deckard is different from the the rest of the team because he's on Cipher's side for the time being. Essentially why he goes to meet Deckard's mom and talked to her about how they're both unable to see their sons.

Spoiler

I guess the article helps it make a little more sense.

Still I feel like we are overthinking the whole thing; I bet they've done it just cause it would be cool as hell, it's Fast & Furious after all! And I'm fine with that.

But yeah, Han deserved a bit better, at least a mention. I hope they make him mention next movie how sorry he is over the whole Han business.

Edited by Arlborn

Wow, I saw a pretty big drop coming for this, but it couldn't even manage $100m OW. by furious 10 it could look like $130m Domestically vs $1.5b internationally. I'm trying to understand why these films are so insanely massive in international markets, I know China is a growing market, but why do they tend to flock to blockbusters, with loads of cheese and razor thin storylines? makes me worry about the future of blockbusters in general. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1