Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

My most unpopular opinion is that there are 3 unimpeachably great Indiana Jones movies, but unfortunately, the other 2 are unevenly distributed over the last three movies. 

I think I enjoy Crusade the most in certain contexts, but I'm fully aware that it's a much sloppier bigger dumber retread of Raiders. (kinda worse edited too?)

And frankly, I totally get why after Spielberg felt like he had to do that after TOD, he believed there was nothing else he could do with the franchise.

Edited by TerwillikerInst

10 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

This still feels like it should have stuck with the classic Memorial Day weekend Indy date. Too bad Disney was hell bent on releasing TLM the same date.

Also, KoTCS was basically Force Awakens/legacy requel before it was even a thing. It's interesting how Spielberg and Lucas were almost a decade ahead of the trend.

I think you might’ve hit the nail in the head. TFA was a big deal because it was not only the first real Star Wars film in 10 years, but was the first one to follow the events of the OT, and was the first time that Han, Luke and Leia would return. Indiana Jones already made his long awaited return in 2008, so doing it again likely isn’t as appealing. 

11 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

Temple of Doom sucked and it is arguable if Crystal Skull was a worse movie. You know that's true. 

it’s actually my favourite one. I know that’s true.  I would rank it third out of the trilogy, but it’s my favourite. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Feels flat. Feels stale. Adds zero to the film. Feels like it was made for TV 90s style. Just a complete waste and completely unnecessary. Actually, feels cheaper and less entertaining the Young Indiana Jones series from the early 90s. 

Wow, that's strong. Didn't feel like that at all to me, even though River looked and felt nothing like Ford.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 6:21 AM, Last Man Standing said:

Calling Indiana Jones sr. an "aging James Bond" is really strange. Have you watched the movie? He literally couldn't be more different than Bond.

On 5/22/2023 at 6:41 AM, grey ghost said:

The Crusade slander should be a bannable offense.

The third act is everything.

I LOVE The Last Crusade. It is not a solo-Indiana Jones film, though. He teams up with insanely watchable Sean Connery in peak form. The awesomeness and success of THE LAST CRUSADE cannot be used to say "Indiana Jones is popular!". It's like saying the success of TDK was only due to Batman and ignoring the awesomeness of Joker. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

I see gamer and right channels are having a field day with that 40-50% tomato score, spamming videos with headlines like "Indy 5 DESTROYED", "Indy 5 gets HORRIBLE reviews", "The worst movie ever made confirmed". The Drinker couldn't resist too. Absolute cringe and eyerolling stuff.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Elessar said:

No Way Bird GIF

I agree, but "Temple of Doom" fans are a sort wierd cult inside of Indy fandom.

I don;'t think Doom was a horrible film, it had some fun stuff in it, but it was nowhere near as good as Raiders or Crusade. But, with all it's many flaws, it was still better then Crystal Skulls..of curse that was no great achevement.

4 hours ago, Merkel said:

Last Crusade is a bit guilty of retreading some of what really worked in Raiders, but the dialogue is so good, the globetrotting feeling so strong and the fact that the artifact is deeply linked with Indiana's character journey in this, make it a really wonderful film.

It might be safer that TOD. But it is so well made, it flows so well, I really can't criticize it much

Agreed Crusade is a retread from Raiders, but it is so well down you don't notice.

I still think the bit with Hitler is priceless.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I see gamer and right channels are having a field day with that 40-50% tomato score, spamming videos with headlines like "Indy 5 DESTROYED", "Indy 5 gets HORRIBLE reviews", "The worst movie ever made confirmed". The Drinker couldn't resist too. Absolute cringe and eyerolling stuff.

The right is going to dump on anything that Disney does. De Satan in Florida has made Disney their #1 target.

Not that the Mouse is really concerned. Cleare they are winning the PR battle with the general public and might have the distinction of being the first studio that sunk a major presendential candidate.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

Why?

Because Young Indy became too much of a history lesson. And this is coming from somebody who thinks people are way too ignroant of history. But you have to entertain why you do it,and Young Indy failed in that regard.

There are some fun bits..I love the Patton bit in the pilot (and it was a fun shout out from Lucas to his close buddy Francis Coppola, who won his first Oscar for the screenplay for 'Patton") but it just tried to hard to work in the history. I love history, and I thought the series simply preached too much.