Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

5 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

So, I rewatched Crystal Skull the other day... I didn't dislike it as much as I did originally, as I still think the overall set pieces fit with the rest of the movies, with only the jungle chase being terrible due to the CG. Still have loads of issues with it and don't think it's good, but I can't say it's outright terrible. The only thing is... I still can't say I know what the fucking plot of that movie is. 

The mcguffin was awful. I doubt even the writers knew what the hell was going on in that finale. 

Good Europe reviews expect this to do well enough os. The issue is domestic

It looks like 8-9m previews for like 75-80m even with JW legs it's like at 250m.

Can see 400m but don't see 485-500m it requires OS to breakeven.

Think rt 60s and don't expect  audience reception as terrible as KOCS . Maybe A-/B+ . A would be great and that's the reception it probably requires to breakeven. 

Expecting 40/60 OS split and with china it would need  2.5*  rule to breakeven. If the split ends up closer then 2.25*.

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Is there genuine interest in answering this question? How many film's first 50 reviews were ~50% positive and ended up 15?/20? points higher? Is a basic descriptive question we can answer. Granted, it's likely to not control for Cannes effect so what's the testable hypothesis?

The reviews are more heavily slanted to top critics at this point than it will end up being by a large margin. Over half of the reviews at this point are top critics, by the end of reviews, that ration will likely settle at more like 20% or so.

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

here in Europe, especially continental europe critics love more an old style blockbuster (most reviews are saying is an old school movie, in a positive way), while all the marvel movies for example have always worst averages than from american critics.

So i guess if you like indiana jones from what I read from some reviews it's a good indiana jones movie. 

Well, I like Indy so much that I almost went to study archeology back in the day. It got me to explore remote jungle pyramids and Egyptian tombs in real life, and sparked a life-long love for ancient history. Harrison Ford is one of my all-time favorite actors.

Yet this review sums up perhaps best my expectations for Indy 5:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/indiana-jones-dial-of-destiny-review-harrison-ford-cannes/

"Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is every inch a replica of the standard Indy experience, with subterranean booby-trapped dungeons, an escape from a Nazi fortress, a chase through a North African bazaar, and an ever-so-slightly irritating younger sidekick (in this case Teddy, played by the 16-year-old French newcomer Ethann Isidore).

Unfortunately, though, it ultimately feels like a counterfeit of priceless treasure: the shape and the gleam of it might be superficially convincing for a bit, but the shabbier craftsmanship gets all the more glaring the longer you look."

-----

It's likely the same as with Crystal Skull and Ghostbusters Afterlife. You come out from the movie theater excited and convincing yourself how good it was, or at least okay, but you feel in your gut that something is off but can't put your finger on it. Time passes and at some point, if you're honest to yourself, you (hopefully) realize how you were cheated.

I hope I'm wrong and can enjoy one last authentic Indy ride.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Looking like Lone Ranger all over again for Disney with Indy 5

Ouch, that's a hit under the belt :D

Indy's Lone Ranger zone would be ending up below $400m WW and that's probably tough to pull.

8 hours ago, von Kenni said:

I agree, they gave a very caricature portrayal of nazis.

ron swanson laughing GIF

Define carictature. The Nazis were indeed evil...but the evil was not just a over the top melodramatic as in the Indy films.

One reason why Spielbere did not direct this movie is becuase, after giving a very realistic and accurate portrayal of Nazis in "Schelndler's List" he could not go back to the comic book level villiany of the Indy films. He had no problem with producing a film like that, but did not feel he could direct it.

I'm sad for the franchise, do you guys think that this will be the final nail in the franchise? Like I know there's the videogame coming but I feel like a good series on D+ could bring new life with a new protagonist because I feel like Harrison was the one that ended up dragging the franchise. 

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Could you imagine anyone thinking that this might be the biggest movie of the summer and that a 500M+ DOM total is possible?

Reveal hidden contents

Too high of expectations. But I think people are overreacting and trying very hard to hate on this for no reason. I do think that if there is one film getting some sort of ‘Jurassic World’ effect, however how mild, it’s this one. I don’t buy this opening below $100m domestically. I would be more surprised if this opens below $100m, I don’t care what the projections are saying currently. I think that this one will be very walk up heavy.

10 minutes ago, Phoenix22 said:

I'm sad for the franchise, do you guys think that this will be the final nail in the franchise? Like I know there's the videogame coming but I feel like a good series on D+ could bring new life with a new protagonist because I feel like Harrison was the one that ended up dragging the franchise. 

I was hoping this would be a really good film and a fitting conclusion to Ford as Indy, but does not look like it will  turn out that way.

Box office is still a unknown, but I think Disney, realistically, is looking at a minor profit as a best case scenario.

I do not like this at all, but it is what it is.And I beleive that facing unpleasnt facts and accepting them is, n the end, a better way then just fooling yourself  with wishful thinking, which we have a lot of at this site.

• Like 1