John Marston

Times when you felt poor marketing hindered a film's business

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Did it? Or was it the fantastic marketing campaign, the epic promotion during the Olympics and the Adele song that hyped people?

The 50th Anniversary war a part of the fantastic marketing campaign.

I agree with Chewy. I loved the Beastie Boys trailer, that's the one that got me interested in seeing Beyond. It offered something different, a unique look while at the same time, make it feel more Trek than the boring generic action fare that was STID

1 minute ago, Sam said:

I agree with Chewy. I loved the Beastie Boys trailer, that's the one that got me interested in seeing Beyond. It offered something different, a unique look while at the same time, make it feel more Trek than the boring generic action fare that was STID

But nobody cares about Trek and STID did 470M WW. Because STID didn't felt like Trek. That is why it did so well. The marketing of that one was terrific. 

1 minute ago, Sam said:

But when you have a franchise which clearly needs OS growth to work, selling something completely different doesn't work. Especially since it was received so badly by Trekkies in the US.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Some movies that made more than Trek OS

After Earth

The Lone Ranger

American Reunion

Robocop

Exodus

Maze Runner 2

Paddington

All of them beat Trek here. Some of them on OW did more than Beyond on total lol.

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

But when you have a franchise which clearly needs OS growth to work, selling something completely different doesn't work. Especially since it was received so badly by Trekkies in the US.

They needed to built on the work done on Into Darkness. Instead they said fuck it all lol. 

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'm grateful that we can all rag on Trek's OS performance in peace without all the bickering. Really brings us together

Sony and Paramount's massive fuck ups OS with their tentpole releases this year are a thing of beauty. And they were both fucked from the start. 

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

Sony and Paramount's massive fuck ups OS with their tentpole releases this year are a thing of beauty. And they were both fucked from the start. 

Next summer Sony's got Spiderboot!

(They sold the merchandising rights :sadben:)

Paramount's got Trans5mers!

(Starring Marky Mark and Josh Duhamel :sadben:)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Next summer Sony's got Spiderboot!

(They sold the merchandising rights :sadben:)

Paramount's got Trans5mers!

(Starring Marky Mark and Josh Duhamel :sadben:)

Sony is probably hoping the Spiderboot does 1B lmao. 

I guess they will make TF6 as a final chapter. Time to bring back Megan Fox!