Series Finales: The Best and The Worst

I loved the Ugly Betty finale. It's surprising because even if the show lasted only four seasons, you get a sense that the story and the characters have had a clear development and that it has come to its natural close.

I would say I rank Six Feet Under's and Battlestar Galactica's as the best of all.

On the other hand, Gossip Girl's ending was not good. It makes no sense because the show got an actual final season to tie things up, but they wasted 80% of the time developing yet another arc in the story, only to get to the important business in the last two episodes, leaving the feeling that it was still a rush ending. It's a shame, because with the previous two seasons they had brought back the spark the show had been losing after the first year. But they went from making one of the best seasons to ending the show with the worst one.

And THAT final revelation...

Gilmore Girls had a really excellent ending even if it was kind of abrupt.

Brothers and Sisters didn't have a good ending cause it was prematurely cancelled.

I liked the Gilmore finale. It was very fitting for the series even if it wasn't written by the creators.

They made so much justice to the spirit of the show by

stating that Rory didn't need a boyfriend to be happy and to have a satisfying ending. She was dreaming with her career through the whole show, and she was not ready to give it all up for a man.

It was a brave creative decision, and I applaud them for that.

Concerning Brothers and Sisters, it's much more obvious that it was not meant to be a series finale. But in the end you can relate the state they left the story to the ever-changing nature of families. Unless you go down the Six Feet Under route, there's not real a way to put an end to a story like this. They left things fairly closed, so it can still be seen as a finale.

Edited by The47th

A finale I'm really looking forward to is How I Met Your Mother. 

I'm looking forward to that too, but I'm not sure what else they can do for the finale now that we already know who the mother is.

I think the finale would be in the running for "Worst of all time". It broke the fanbase on par with the "Superman has a kid" reveal in "Superman Returns"

• Like 3

I thought the office had a very good finale

Yes, very very good finale. Probably the best episode in those last couple of years.

I was surprised I didn't love the 30 Rock finale. It may be because the whose series is so brilliant that my expectations were a bit unrealistic, but the only moments that completely wowed me were those last few minutes.

I liked the BSG finale.

I loved a lot of it, but there were also a few things that I shook my head at (them being the ancestors of modern humans and simply throwing away most of their technology being the big ones). But it had music that rivaled anything LOST threw out (let alone most movies).

Yes, very very good finale. Probably the best episode in those last couple of years.

I was surprised I didn't love the 30 Rock finale. It may be because the whose series is so brilliant that my expectations were a bit unrealistic, but the only moments that completely wowed me were those last few minutes.

I thought the finale there was perfect, and showcased everything that the show did best, with both it's absurdity and heart coming through all at once (Jack's belief he no longer fit in going hand in hand with the writing staff's battle over lunch). The scene with Jack and Liz when he's about to sail away is among the show's finest.

• Like 1

Someone can describe the Dexter finale as "good" only in the way that euthanasia could probably be "good". That show became such a joke and a dried-up husk of its former self from Season 6 onward that it was a great relief to just see it end its own misery. Even if a single episode hadn't been released after the Season 5 finale, the show would've been remembered on such a glorious note that it isn't even funny. :(  

HIMYM is the perfect example of a shit finale, though I never found the show to be all that in the first place.