#ED

Weekend Estimates: Gravity - 55.5M; CWACM - $21.5M ;RR - 7.6M;

Correctty me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but hasn't every Bullock film since 2007 (the proposal.) Had at least a 4.5 multiplier?

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close two years ago didn't do that well although she's not the lead there

Saw this today...wow, amazing. Amazing movie, easily my best of the year. I see this having great word of mouth too (yes, that's some prediction I made there ).200m here we come. I wouldn't have believed it just a few days ago.

• Like 1

I kept wondering just how they made this movie, especially without use of the vomit comet (ala Apollo 13).  Having read about the puppeteering, I was even more surprised.  

I am so happy I avoided the ad campaign.  Having seen the trailers now, I never saw the space shuttle/space station getting shredded by the debris so that came as a pleasant surprise.  There are alot of other scenes and plot points that I'm glad were new to me.

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 3

I kept wondering just how they made this movie, especially without use of the vomit comet (ala Apollo 13).  Having read about the puppeteering, I was even more surprised.  

I am so happy I avoided the ad campaign.  Having seen the trailers now, I never saw the space shuttle/space station getting shredded by the debris so that came as a pleasant surprise.  There are alot of other scenes and plot points that I'm glad were new to me.

Me too. I saw the teaser trailer a few times but otherwise I didn't see any of the money shots.

Edited by aDIM

lilmac spoiler tags ?

ok i just woke up but now i remember i saw an early trailer which must have shown that bit but still its a huge spoiler if you haven't seen the movie or trailers , but it must have been a sneak peek because i don't remember seeing anyone's face sandra or george just people in space suits in space 

After months and months of rejecting 3D, analyst believes we've fallen in love with it all over again after one weekend.

http://www.thewrap.com/gravity-represents-turning-point-3d-box-office-analyst-says/

I think Clooney's quote in that article kind of sums it up “There has to be a reason for it, and there’s a reason for the 3D in this film,”

I don't understand why analysts don't get that upcoming releases like Thor, The Hobbit, aren't going to do better at the 3D box office simply because Gravity did well. They are making a correlation where none exists.  Gravity only reinforces that audiences will pay the extra premium for 3D if they feel like the 3D really makes a significant difference in the movie watching experience, and when it doesn't they won't.

• Like 3

"The 3D share was higher than AVATAR's. That's crazy!"

that's not crazy at all:

3150 of Gravity's 3575 theaters have 3D screens ---- 87%

2037 of Avatar's 3452 theaters have 3D screens ---- 59%

Avatar had only 3129 3D screens on its OW. Gravity had way more 3D screens, maybe 6000 of its 7600 screens.

Avatar OW 3D box office 55M with a way longer runtime, Gravity OW 3D box office 44M with a way shorter runtime. In other words, Avatar had way higher 3D per show attendance.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

I think Clooney's quote in that article kind of sums it up “There has to be a reason for it, and there’s a reason for the 3D in this film,”

I don't understand why analysts don't get that upcoming releases like Thor, The Hobbit, aren't going to do better at the 3D box office simply because Gravity did well. They are making a correlation where none exists.  Gravity only reinforces that audiences will pay the extra premium for 3D if they feel like the 3D really makes a significant difference in the movie watching experience, and when it doesn't they won't.

Yup. 3d works for certain films when it enhances the viewing experience. 

• Like 1