#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

If Warner spends on an Oscar campaign and actually wins the majors (Picture, Director, Actress) , this thing could play well into 2014 and crashes past $300M. Kudos to Warner Bros, again, for taking such a huge creative/business risk with questionable selling point (endless tracking shots, and minimal dialogue/plot). Remind me of 2010 when they released an insane, high concept movie like INCEPTION. When I saw this on its first release day, not knowing how much it will gross, I keep saying to myself: "Warners are insane for greenlighting this!" And they are rewarded with $800M WW payload. Orgasmic!

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1

If Warner spends on an Oscar campaign and actually wins the majors (Picture, Director, Actress) , this thing could play well into 2014 and crashes past $300M. Kudos to Warner Bros, again, for taking such a huge creative/business risk with questionable selling point (endless tracking shots, and minimal dialogue/plot). Remind me of 2010 when they released an insane, high concept movie like INCEPTION. When I saw this on its first release day, not knowing how much it will gross, I keep saying to myself: "Warners are insane for greenlighting this!" And they are rewarded with $800M WW payload. Orgasmic!

Inception was the least they could do for Nolan after TDK though. I know that some studios like Fox wouldn't even be that gracious but still, it isn't the pinnacle of big studio altruism.

• Like 1

40m for Gravity makes 200 a foregone conclusion. Needs a 3x multiplier from this weekend to make it there. Could do upwards of 250 even. 

I am not as optimistic as some who would predict this to be a $300M grosser. 

But it will outgross Bullock's BLIND SIDE to be her biggest hit unadjusted.

Adjusted BLIND SIDE grossed $271M, amazing run that film.

• Like 1

If you'd have said Gravity would beat ST2 with ease at the beginning of the year, you'd have been labelled a loony.

ST2 will not even figure in the Top 10 highest grossers of 2013 now. Regarding the estimations for it at the beginning of the year, that's a shocker no doubt.

• Like 3

ST2 will not even figure in the Top 10 highest grossers of 2013 now. Regarding the estimations for it at the beginning of the year, that's a shocker no doubt.

Total shock. Especially because thought it had more of a fanbase. I dont know what went wrong with that one. 

• Like 2

Gravity, Hunger Games, and Hobbit knock it down to #10, which one am I missing? Thor 2 is not necessarily a lock yet.

True. Most here had it at #1 or #2 for the year. Now it'll end up #10 or #11. Shows how much bias played a factor. Pretty remarkable.

Edited by Twerkdrew
  • Like 1

I'd say Thor is a lock. Frozen is a strong possibility too. 

I'm not 100% sold yet but chances are pretty good I suppose. I have it pegged around 240-250 million, but there are scenarios I can imagine where it falls a bit short of 228 million (namely, if for whatever reason, it turns out to be a disappointment). Frozen could do Tangled numbers and fall short as well.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1