lilmac

Does anyone else NOT watch TV (except for favorite shows)?

I am one of these guys

Almost a year ago I simply stopped watching TV.  It wasn't for ideological, etc reasons.  

I just found that I can use various online services (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, IMDB, etc) to watch my favorite shows and sports.  No need to pay for a bundle.  I just have Internet from my cable provider and I turn on the big screen when I want to play PS3.   My home is free from background noise and I can't do it justice how great it is to watch commercial free TV.  

Anyone else?  

I also stopped watching TV a long time ago. I used to watch Friends there, but I also found that you can do it online so I simply said screw it and stopped. I only watch football (or soccer... *roll eyes*) games on TV ... and that only UCL or World Cup/Euro Cup

i watch tv and at same time i dont 

i watch the french cable canal + satellite mostly for sports , political talk shows , investigative shows , the news 

we used to have american cable until about 5 yrs ago ,cried like a baby when we gave it up because two cables bills were too much on the budget 

but kids were still very small and it was in their best interest to hear only french at first and not pick up english too soon as it causes pb with their learning , its a specific problem to my island bilingualism , left to our own devices we'd screw french 99% of the time 

so at the time it really felt like i gave up on tv as i really only watch the french one for sports , i've since adapted to it lol

but luckily at same time i got my laptop and discovered the joys of watching tv online without ads 

i'm positive i can't go back to before being beholded to a specific time and specific day and unlike americans no DVR 

that's how i ended up giving the shaft to ugly betty because it was playing at same time as smallville on thursdays and i ended up watching UB years after it ended 

so yeah all my fav shows i watch online since to me its like i don't have tv , i don't care to watch americans shows in french , i dislike dubbing in any language(things get more often than not lost in translation.

I don't mind subtitles but would rather do without them 

Through sheer impatience I find myself turning to the web to get the latest episodes.For example Big Bang Theory is only halfway through season 6 on TV over here, but a certain non-torrent site allows me to see the latest episode a day after it premiered in the US.Problem is our bandwith is too cruddy to watch it as it's streaming so I have to use a flv downloader and save the episode to disk.Which isn't too bad, I suppose :)

• Like 1

It's got much better here with some shows on Foxtel with 2-3 hours of their west coast broadcast.

I generally only watch live sport on TV.  If a show is on here within 36 hours of it's US broadcast I'll watch it on TV here.  If it's a channel with adds I'll delay watching it by 20 minutes and fast forward through the adds.

I used to have the TV running 8 hours aday, mostling without really paying attention. Then about 5 years ago I stopped. Now I only watch sports or other live content. In Austria the government owned TV is addfree during the shows. The commercial stations have so much adds that you always end up switching channels.

I think the TV channels have to change their busines modell to survive longterm.