Transformers: Dark of the Moon

46 members have voted

1. 1. Transformers: Dark of the Moon

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This is a frustrating movie, like the last one was, in that too much focus on uninteresting humans and not enough of the Transformers gets annoying, but I can't stay mad for too long when Peter Cullen is voicing Optimus Prime.I give it a B-. The Transformers still kick ass, despite the stupid humans, and the story was fun to follow along with.

Edited by Warhorse

Really didn't like this film at all. I had hoped after all the reports of Bay telling us he'd learned from his mistakes that he would deliver a film that was closer in quality to TF1 than TF2. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Is it better than RoTF? Sure, but being only slightly better than utter crap still isn't remotely good. I found the characters annoying, the performances were terrible all around (Whitley was utterly awful in every single aspect and John Malkovich's performance was one of the biggest WTF moments in cinema this year), the visuals were bland and boring (great special effects doesn't mean a film is good looking). The action scenes were better than RoTF though, and largely due to losing the shaky-cam aspect. The building collapsing was fantastic and thrilling. Pity the others were boring.C-

I watched this a couple of days ago. The fact that it beat ROTK makes me want to puke. The impressive visual effects and John Malkovich's performance were the only good things about it. It's overlong and dull. Bay constructs the giant action sequences but you can't create any sense of excitement when you don't care about the fate of the characters. The leery introduction Huntington-Whiteley's character and the way she was presented throughout the film was disgraceful. Eye candy and nothing more...it's always the same with Bay. It shows that Bay is either a neanderthal or is cynical enough to know that's his audience. It's basically the complete opposite of the way someone like James Cameron treats female characters and it's an unbelievably backward, primitive view of women and it sucks. It was the same with Megan Fox.The film seemed to actually have a semi-comprehensible plot for the first 20 minutes which was a nice change, but as I said, only for 20 minutes...then it just turned into a bunch of nonsense like usual.D.

The most amazing film of the year. I have never been more blown away in a movie than I was in this. Visually this was orgasmic. Story wise, it was fantastic and script wise, it was intriguing. Bay doesn't need to apologize to anyone as he has made his opus here. This, imo, is the best of the three and right up there as possibly Bay's best film, which i still have to give to Armageddon.9.5/10

• Like 2

C.I wouldn't want to be a comp artist on that one. I don't even want to think about how long it would take for them to keyframe one single autobot transforming with all those nuts and bolts moving.It's quite amazing they pull that stuff off with just a green screen and then have the Computer Graphics (CG) worked in.Uninteresting story line. I didn't like Mcdermett/dormant or Patrick Dempsey. Those roles felt unnecessary. They should have had John Tuttorro and Sam work out a plot by themselves. Tyrese and the Las Vegas guy really didn't need to be in the movie at all, waste of space. John Tuttorro + Labeouf + Crazy parents would have made for a much better plot. Add in a couple more Optimus Prime battles and it would have been an ... A.

I watched this a couple of days ago. The fact that it beat ROTK makes me want to puke. The impressive visual effects and John Malkovich's performance were the only good things about it. It's overlong and dull. Bay constructs the giant action sequences but you can't create any sense of excitement when you don't care about the fate of the characters. The leery introduction Huntington-Whiteley's character and the way she was presented throughout the film was disgraceful. Eye candy and nothing more...it's always the same with Bay. It shows that Bay is either a neanderthal or is cynical enough to know that's his audience. It's basically the complete opposite of the way someone like James Cameron treats female characters and it's an unbelievably backward, primitive view of women and it sucks. It was the same with Megan Fox.The film seemed to actually have a semi-comprehensible plot for the first 20 minutes which was a nice change, but as I said, only for 20 minutes...then it just turned into a bunch of nonsense like usual.D.

Well, it beat ROTK simply because of 3D and IMAX. I felt the same way with Harry Potter 7.2 beating ROTK, but then I have to realize, we have three movies this year grossing over a billion dollars. The billion dollar mark will pretty soon be as common as the 100,000,000 domestic mark. Remember when that was a rare thing at one time?Yeah, well, we know what works for these movies (Transformers, decent military guys like Lennox and Epps, and maybe ONE crazy loon, either Simmons OR Sam, can't have both) and what doesn't work, ridiculous love interests that detract the story line, a half ass written plot, too much emphasis on stupid ass humans. So, the fact that we are dealing with CGI characters that never get old, well, we can sit back and wait for a reboot!

Transformers 3 is a miracle. It has everything you could hope for in a summer film. There were times when I wanted to stand up and cheer (I did sit and cheer or clap twice in the film) and there were times when my voice box wouldn't work so my shocked and awe functions were relegated to my eyes bulging like I was on Ecstasy and my mouth was agape like I was lining up to have someone throw an M&M in my mouth. There were times when I laughed when no one else did (Sam's interview with Malkovich and when just a few notes of Sweet Emotion played, just like it did in Armageddon). There were times that I laughed when everyone else did (the two New York mini robots doing pretty much anything got me and the audience all giddy). And then there were times when I just sat back, glasses on, blinding light from the screen, crisp and precise sound emanating from the 100 or so speakers, and just took it all in, and thought to myself, "this is why I love movies". This is why I go to the theater. My favourite films take me to another world. A world of infinite possibilities.When I watched Terminator 2, I believed that liquid metal was real. I was convinced that it could take the shape of a Vasquez from Aliens and stab a man while he was drinking a carton of milk.In Jurassic Park, I was in that park with the kids and with Malcolm and with the lawyer and the director of Ghandi. Tyrannosaurus Rex was real and so were the raptors before they started playing basketball in Toronto.In Armageddon, I knew that Bay really went to a giant asteroid and shot on location. He really did take Bruce and Ben and William with him. It had to be real because the worlds that they inhabit felt real.And that's not even mentioning some of the big guys like Star Wars and LOTR and Matrix and many others. The worlds that can be created take you places. They remind you that with a little imagination, a lot of hard work and a letting a little bit of the kid in you come out, you can creates anything. Bay's Transformers 3 is a brilliant and worthy addition to these worlds. There isn't one frame of this film that feels fake. There's not one shot that wasn't laboriously coddled over. It's truly a remarkable film and even though I'm not a huge proponent of 3D, here it absolutely works. The base jumping scene will go down, imo, as one of the all time most amazing scenes ever filmed. It's just remarkable that Bay could do what he did.The film has a very fresh story which is also a bit surprising as it kind of rehashes the story from part two. But when you can get Kennedy, the moon landing, Cheronobyl, the destruction of downtown Chicago, the middle east problems and a plethora of other issues all rolled into one film, it just feels fresh.My favourite part of Transformers, even more the mind blowing spectacle of watching them transform, is Sam Witwicky. His character is essential to the film and he is the glue that holds it all together. The first 15 minutes or so is all exposition. They go to the moon and discover the crashed Transformer there and it is a very well done beginning. But when Sam finally gets on screen you feel a sense of relief. His mannerisms, his idiosyncratic ways and his entire ethos is what makes the Transformer films so much fun from the human side. Here, he has grown up. He is disgruntled as he feels he should have some cushy, well paying government job seeing as he saved the world twice. But he is unemployed and looking for work. His new girlfriend is hot, obviously, but she is a nice addition to the film. Her story arc could not have been done with Mykala as his girlfriend, so it was written well. Cameos by John Malkovich and Ken Jeong are played strictly for laughs and they do it well, especially Jeong who's a short and sneaky man working in Malkovich's company. He had some of the best early laughs.Adding to the mix is newcomer Frances McDormand. She plays a caricature of a bitchy CIA agent who is way too full of herself but really hasn't a clue what she is doing. This part is not played for laughs as she insults Sam and Optimus at every chance she gets. It's also nice to see that Coen's alumni McDormand, Malkovich and John Turturro are all in this film. They even share some screen time together (not all three together).Without getting into the story, to avoid spoilers, just suffice to say that everything you want and expect from a Transformers film is here and many of the things people complained about in the second one are not. Gone are the Transformer balls, leg humping and the supposed racial stereotypes of the twins. Replacing that is more subdued and well placed humour. Even the sheer emotion is magnified in the film as the last 30-45 minutes will leave you breathless and exhausted. And the only spoiler I will mention is my favourite line of the film is when Rosie tells Megatron that he will be used like he is the Sentinel's bitch.Transformers 3 is a like a ride at the amusement park. It can leave you breathless, queasy and exhausted. But you know that once you get off you just feel like going back on again.9/10

• Like 1

Michael Bay movies have become caricatures of themselves, its hilarious. Anyways, Rosie was hot, action was good, comedy was alright, story was stupid, starscream death = WTF, Megatron had like 10 seconds of screen time, and there was a 10 second ass shot of Rosie and pretty much what I expected all around.C+