CaptainJackSparrow

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Record opening in Philippines and India, stabilizing elsewhere

$369 million so far. Is that good?

By its 3rd weekend, CA2 made $317M OS and $412M WW but during the same period, Cap has played for 2 weekends in China, and grossed $80M there. At this point, TASM2 should be ahead of CA2 without China. 

China's gross is a monstrous addition to any well-produced Hollywood action movie. The studios should kow-tow on regular basis, and bring "good luck" fruits on those executive visits.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 4

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 kept the international box office ensnared in its web as a further $116m through Sony Pictures Releasing International boosted the tally after three sessions to $277m.

Combined with the weekend’s $92m estimated North America debut, the wall-crawler has reached $269m worldwide.

The international haul included $6.8m from Imax, whose running total climbed to $15.7m.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opened in France on $10.6m to beat the 2012 original by 32% and arrived in Brazil on $10.5m to beat its predecessor by 76%.

Spidey 2 debut in China on 11,002 screens on $10.4m on a working Sunday for the biggest debut for a workday.

The superhero sequel swung into action in India on $6.5m and beat the predecessor’s $5.6m to score the all-time biggest Hollywood launch. An estimated $5.6m in the Philippines was good enough for the third biggest debut in history behind Iron Man 3 and Avengers

Indonesia generated $5.2m, Malaysia $4.6m, Hong Kong $3.6m, Singapore $3.5m, Thailand $2.6m and Vietnam $1.3m. All these Asian debuts beat those of the original by at least 28%.

The film arrived in Colombia on $2.2m, Central America on $1.9m, Peru on $1.4m and Chile on $1.3m. All these Latin America debuts were at least 11% higher than those of the original. The UAE produced a $2.4m debut.

• Like 3

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 kept the international box office ensnared in its web as a further $116m through Sony Pictures Releasing International boosted the tally after three sessions to $277m.

Combined with the weekend’s $92m estimated North America debut, the wall-crawler has reached $269m worldwide.

The international haul included $6.8m from Imax, whose running total climbed to $15.7m.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opened in France on $10.6m to beat the 2012 original by 32% and arrived in Brazil on $10.5m to beat its predecessor by 76%.

Spidey 2 debut in China on 11,002 screens on $10.4m on a working Sunday for the biggest debut for a workday.

The superhero sequel swung into action in India on $6.5m and beat the predecessor’s $5.6m to score the all-time biggest Hollywood launch. An estimated $5.6m in the Philippines was good enough for the third biggest debut in history behind Iron Man 3 and Avengers

Indonesia generated $5.2m, Malaysia $4.6m, Hong Kong $3.6m, Singapore $3.5m, Thailand $2.6m and Vietnam $1.3m. All these Asian debuts beat those of the original by at least 28%.

The film arrived in Colombia on $2.2m, Central America on $1.9m, Peru on $1.4m and Chile on $1.3m. All these Latin America debuts were at least 11% higher than those of the original. The UAE produced a $2.4m debut.

Mojo doesn't seem to track Indonesian figure. This is a massive country with $280M people, near the size of US!

And nobody is tracking it?

• Like 1

Mojo doesn't seem to track Indonesian figure. This is a massive country with $280M people, near the size of US!

And nobody is tracking it?

Mojo stopped tracking Indonesia in 2012, don't know why. Indonesia is not a big money maker, but it's still growing.

I'm sure the cinema chains have the data, but they don't make it public.

Finally, a number from Indonesia! $5.2m is huge! According to my note, IM3 4-day OW was $5.3m. I hope it can break IM3's all time record ($15,308,150).

Mojo stopped tracking Indonesia in 2012, don't know why. Indonesia is not a big money maker, but it's still growing.

I'm sure the cinema chains have the data, but they don't make it public.

Actually they were still tracking Indonesia until May 2013. The last movie that they tracked was The Hangover Part III which was released on May 31, 2013. After that, suddenly no updates anymore. And it got worse, because the numbers for 2013 are all gone from the site. That's why the last update that you can find right now is from 2012.

Edited by catlover

Finally, a number from Indonesia! $5.2m is huge! According to my note, IM3 4-day OW was $5.3m. I hope it can break IM3's all time record ($15,308,150).

Actually they were still tracking Indonesia until May 2013. The last movie that they tracked was The Hangover Part III which was released on May 31, 2013. After that, suddenly no updates anymore. And it got worse, because the numbers for 2013 were all gone from the site. That's why the last update that you can find right now is from 2012.

Yeah, it's a big opening weekend. Spider-Man is probably the most popular superhero in Indonesia or at least in top 3.

Yeah, it's a big opening weekend. Spider-Man is probably the most popular superhero in Indonesia or at least in top 3.

Yeah, even with Iron Man's rising popularity (thanks to The Avengers, Iron Man 3 is now the biggest movie of all time) I think Spidey is still the most popular superhero here. He has always been. I did a little research and found out that the first 3 Spider-Man movies all became the #1 movie of the year, and Spider-Man 3 was the biggest movie of all time from 2007 to 2009. Spidey was beaten by The Avengers in 2012, but still managed to be the 2nd biggest movie that year.

Yeah, even with Iron Man's rising popularity (thanks to The Avengers, Iron Man 3 is now the biggest movie of all time) I think Spidey is still the most popular superhero here. He has always been. I did a little research and found out that the first 3 Spider-Man movies all became the #1 movie of the year, and Spider-Man 3 was the biggest movie of all time from 2007 to 2009. Spidey was beaten by The Avengers in 2012, but still managed to be the 2nd biggest movie that year.

So I guess the order based on popularity is Spidey, Batman and Iron Man. Superman no 4 ?