pretty reckless

Are typical ROM COMS kind of dead?

12 minutes ago, franfar said:

Woah are you a time traveler?

But for real, rom coms can't survive in the era of event films. Low-budgeted high-reviewed indie films could do okay if they just play on the coasts. I think that's a viable future for them.

On another note, look at the country of origin of rom-coms from Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_romantic_comedy_films

If you just skim through the list, they're all from the US/West until mid-2010s. Now they're basically gone from the West and are now produced in Asia. Weird.

Thats a horrible list on Wiki. Literally every second Bollywood movie and Indian movie is a romcom. Strangely enough, one of the 2 Indian movies listed there isn't even a romcom, it is a gross out comedy.

Count me in into 'I do not like Simon Pegg'. I am face-blind, so i do usually not recognise people, he and a few other actors make me feel uncomfortable only 'seeing/hearing' them on screen.

Paul Rudd, that is the actor who played (and I think partly co-wrote) Ant-Man, or? Why not to like him? I do not know a lot about him but as Ant-Man I did like him

A spoof about rom-coms... sounds strange to me.

Not my genre, I usually 'hate' it, any recommendations if the old fashioned screwball versions were sometimes watch-able for someone?

I don't know if I have seen them all (I doubt it), but I liked the Katharine Hepburn - Spencer Tracy combis, but that might be based on them being a RL pair too (as I learned afterwards). Something about that pairing seemed always a bit more real as the other films to me.

What made me running away screaming (I do not run away screaming ever, meant to show I switched of the TV or did prefer to do a not funny work instead = strong wording for really not liking it) were e.g. films with Doris Day and... whoever they picked. Felt always wrong, was always over the top and ... not the kind of people / characters shown I'd like in RL.

The only rom-com out of the last some decades I can remember for the moment and I liked for several reasons was more of a rom-com-drama or however to call it: PS I Love You.

Mostly because I like a lot of its actors, incl the small roles, the nature in Ireland parts, and some other details.

But I had at the same time to ~ hold myself back for wanting to 'smack' her mentally for being so... in need for support to not be so... in waiting for outside impulses/pushes to get her behind in action for being herself in a way. Not about to move on after his death, but even earlier on. And the shoe thing made me roll my eyes, a lot.

Hmmm and maybe Moonstruck. Nearly insufferable, but in its over-the-top way poking a bit into Italian cliché and so on and some other detals it had some interesting moments.

What else did I like that did have at least some romantic and comedic elements? Charade (again, she a bit too... stupid), Harold and Maude, but that one for complete other reasons that the rom-com parts (it wasn't really one, but to give some titles for presorting ideas).

I liked parts of Hatari (funnily not the pairing of the pair it circled around and some details about his and her written characters), African Queen, and Operation Petticoat (but again, not for the pairings, beside maybe the machinist). And The Knack ...and How to Get It.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Thats a horrible list on Wiki. Literally every second Bollywood movie and Indian movie is a romcom. Strangely enough, one of the 2 Indian movies listed there isn't even a romcom, it is a gross out comedy.

That just reinforces my point that all rom coms are in Asia now

48 minutes ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

I'd love to see Jennifer Lawrence and Michael B. Jordan in an old-fashioned rom com: he seems like the dapper, charming, hunky-yet-approachable leading man, and she certainly fits the archetype of the awkward beauty with the razor-sharp tongue and a heart of gold.

Yes, I like them both and think they'd be well matched in terms of charisma and he's only about 3-4 years older, which would be a nice change of pace for a JLaw love interest. Not that it would ever happen in a pure rom-com from a major studio, it would probably have to have some sort of action/thriller/heist angle to distract all the bigots from being so outraged.

Like others have stated the decline of the mid-budget movie has hit rom-coms especially hard. Still, I think there's a place for them, studios just have to keep the budgets down like they would for original comedies, and get with the times in terms of storytelling. Sure these are love stories, but let the leads act like rational adults the audience wouldn't mind knowing IRL. Also, people who aren't white or straight like romances too so some diversity with the casting and storytelling would be nice.

In the meantime while studios chase animation and franchises, The Hallmark Channel cranks out new whitebread, PG romances week after week. Here's this Saturday's offering:

And the week after:

Lots of romantic comedy movies get made now, just not for theatrical release so much, though some would say La La Land is a rom-com...

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Yes, I like them both and think they'd be well matched in terms of charisma and he's only about 3-4 years older, which would be a nice change of pace for a JLaw love interest. Not that it would ever happen in a pure rom-com from a major studio, it would probably have to have some sort of action/thriller/heist angle to distract all the bigots from being so outraged.

Like others have stated the decline of the mid-budget movie has hit rom-coms especially hard. Still, I think there's a place for them, studios just have to keep the budgets down like they would for original comedies, and get with the times in terms of storytelling. Sure these are love stories, but let the leads act like rational adults the audience wouldn't mind knowing IRL. Also, people who aren't white or straight like romances too so some diversity with the casting and storytelling would be nice.

In the meantime while studios chase animation and franchises, The Hallmark Channel cranks out new whitebread, PG romances week after week. Here's this Saturday's offering:

And the week after:

Lots of romantic comedy movies get made now, just not for theatrical release so much, though some would say La La Land is a rom-com...

My parents are obsessed with Hallmark it's so annoying.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

And the week after:

Those trailers are repugnant and vanilla.

You won't find me shedding a tear for rom com's. The Holiday is the only film I've ever walked out of. I just couldn't. It bugs me that people like Jennifer Aniston and Hugh Grant just did the same thing and played the same person repeatedly.

Edited by JB33

8 hours ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

You sure you aren't talking about Focus? 

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Plenty of movies still have rom com tropes in spades tho.

It s not like luuuuuuuve has disappeared from the screens.

Yup. Rom-coms still happen, they're just indie or disguised as something else now like the aforementioned Deadpool, Focus and La La Land. 

Edited by Arlborn

9 hours ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Who doesn't love non-stop Christmas movies on two channels, from Halloween to New Year's Day? :lol: Though if your business model works why not run it into the ground, that seems to be the Hollywood way.

Don't forget about Christmas in July.

The only amusing bit I find is pointing out actors who were used to be or supposed to be big stars but have ended up doing Hallmark movies.

• Like 1