grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

• Founder / Operator

That looks like a decent number to me. Why should there be meltdowns?

From the people that were convinced $80 million wknd was too low / couldn't happen / etc. Same reason it happens with any movie, I suppose...

(Not saying I agree with it by any stretch.)

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 3

Why are folks saying Thor is underperforming? Or are folks looking for reasons to meltdown?An $82M weekend is huge in November. It's increased over its predecessor, so there's obviously some Avengers effect (I'm beginning to hate that phrase). Despite what folks are saying, I don't expect Captain America to do much more than this. Thor isn't Twilight or Potter or even James Bond.

Because people were expecting Avengers effect and "Thorki" effect to increase it moreThe problem is legs, they probably won't be that good

You know you're spoiled when a sequel increases over 20% and you view it as a terrible disappointment.

It's going to have a 10% increase on the total gross at most.  After the Avengers effect, Thorki, huge social media buzz after the trailers were released, rising star power of Hiddleston and Hemsworth etc. you'd think it would do better.

Disappointing number but what are you gonna do. I really thought 90M would happen

Went on the very high end for the winter game cuz I figured if it broke out I'd get all the points and if it didn't I wouldn't lose too many in the long run. Oh well

• Like 1

I am not sure if hamill or fisher is a factor these days. Ford is a legend but again his best days are behind him. I am not certain teens would be that crazy to see these old people back on screen.

I still believe SW7 will be big but no dont think its  locked to gross 400M.

I think 400M is locked with that release date. It's going to have a 100M+ OW and I just don't see how it misses that mark even if it has bad WOM but with JJ on board, I seriously doubt it'll be bad. 

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1

It doesn't have to meet whatever expectations you think it has.  It only has to have a kick ass trailer with the three heroes from the original and that will be enough to ensure a giant opening.  That is enough to put it over 400 imo.

People wont even recognize them.

• Like 1

Thor 2's opening day admissions were about 24% higher than Thor. Comparatively, Iron Man 3's were approximately 20% over Iron Man 2.

So average ticket price is lower. Which means much lower 3d share as actual ticket prices have increased a bit since 2011. Thor 1 had 60% 3d share.

This is why we should be careful predicting big increases for 3d films. Even Avengers 2 3d share will come down(and Avatar 2 as well).

• Like 1

I honestly think that focusing the marketing on Loki was a big mistake on Marvel's part.  It made the fans happy but those are people who were going to watch this repeatedly in the first place, regardless of marketing.  It did nothing much to increase general awareness.  Was Hemsworth so busy or had prior obligations that he couldn't do it?

Agree with you here. The same mistake was made by Paramount and Khan campaign for STID - they, sometime getting lost in the web and think that those web trends is universal for all GA-they are not, so thous "underperforms" are really good weak up calls. Yep Hemsworth was busy in another Howard movie.

I think 400M is locked with that release date. It's going to have a 100M+ OW and I just don't see how it misses that mark even if it has bad WOM but with JJ on board, I seriously doubt it'll be bad. 

Hobbit had a 3.58 multiplier, I Am Legend had a 3.32.  100m does not guarantee 400m by any stretch.

• Like 2

And at the time, in 2005, there were 7 films that had made 400 million dollars.  So it missed 400 mill but still managed to be the 8th highest grossing film of all time after it's run.  

I wasn't even following box office in 2005, and I remember seeing on the news that ticket sales were at some kind of record low shortly after ROTS came out. So it probably would have made it to 400m if the market itself had been stronger.