Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

Considering TF movies have been completely review proof, what's the studio scared of? Are times changing and social media making RT more and more prominent...

It's been well reported recently studios are increasingly terrified of RT. Paramount itself has blamed reviews for the failure of Ghost in the Shell and Baywatch, and I'm sure they'll do the same this week even if the embargo doesn't drop

5m previews

18m Wednesday

7.7m Thursday 

13.3m Friday

17m Saturday

13.1m Sunday 

43.4m / 69.1m 

No cohesive hook for this installment, no goodwill from a wildly derided fourth movie, more than enough in the marketplace to currently satisfy summer crowds, should make bank OS and disappear here pretty quickly. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wadey Wilsoney said:

Okay, here are my pros and cons. I'm trying to be as vague as possible but I'm putting this in spoiler tags anyway:

Hide contents

Pros:

- Some good moments. But these are few and far between

- Looks pretty. 3D is good.

- Great sound

- I liked that one character. Most of the time.

- Actually didn't notice that much product placement

Cons:

- Dumb beyond belief to the point where you actually want to cringe, laugh and cry at the same time.

- Most of the Transformers act like they would be better suited in a Looney Tunes cartoon. Annoying as fuck.

- Another irritating tag-along character that serves only as comic relief.

- Characters that serve no purpose other than to increase the running time. When the movie was over I constantly wondered what was the point of having that person in the movie

- Characters that disappear for such long stretches you actually forget they're in the movie.

- Jurassic World syndrome where the woman has no meaning to her existence if she doesn't have a man in her life.

- Dumb. Very dumb

- Rips off parts of Independence Day: Resurgence wholesale

- Overbearing

- Too damn long

- They don't allow alcohol on the theater

How would you rate it in context of other TFs?

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

It's been well reported recently studios are increasingly terrified of RT. Paramount itself has blamed reviews for the failure of Ghost in the Shell and Baywatch, and I'm sure they'll do the same this week

How can they if they've already embargoed it for as long as logically possible?

This is selling terribly at all of the theaters with reserved seating around me for tonight, including the iPic theater (and it's not like those theaters have many seats). Walkup business will likely (probably?) be better but this is definitely starting to give me Independence Day: Resurgence 2.0 vibes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gopher said:

It's been well reported recently studios are increasingly terrified of RT. Paramount itself has blamed reviews for the failure of Ghost in the Shell and Baywatch, and I'm sure they'll do the same this week

6m previews

21m Wednesday

8.7m Thursday 

13.3m Friday

17m Saturday

13.1m Sunday 

43.4m / 73.1m 

WW will beat it over DM3 weekend I think

My nos are similar but I went a little more front-loaded than you.

Your Wed-Thu is 41% of the 5-day. Mine is 48%. TF2 was 45.5% and I don't think this will improve on that one with early Tue preivews.

So I used a bigger Wed for the same 5-day.

25.0 (including 7 previews)

10.0 (-60% owing to big share of Tue previews. TF2 fell 53% on Thu.)

12.5 (+25%)

14.0 (+12%)

11.5 (+18%)

38 3-day / 73 5-day

150-155 dom

Edited by a2knet

This is only having a limited run here on Friday (as most theaters are closed) but from what I see on Saturday in the largest theater the sales are... not good, at least compared to the third film (never saw the fourth one in theaters).

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

My nos are similar but I went a little more front-loaded than you.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the audience interested in the film isn't aware it's opening tonight, especially since reviews won't be out in full force until tomorrow. It'll get some diehards in early but families won't rush. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the audience interested in the film isn't aware it's opening tonight, especially since reviews won't be out in full force until tomorrow. It'll get some diehards in early but families won't rush. 

yeah that's a fair point.

Is this the first time a film with this big a budget has held the review embargo until literally the time of the first U.S. screening?

I could definitely see this becoming a trend from the studios complaining about the impact of a bad R.T. score on opening weekend.  Better to take the hit from having no reviews online than to have a concrete score the audience can look at and decide the film is a turkey and skip it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Is this the first time a film with this big a budget has held the review embargo until literally the time of the first U.S. screening?

I could definitely see this becoming a trend from the studios complaining about the impact of a bad R.T. score on opening weekend.  Better to take the hit from having no reviews online than to have a concrete score the audience can look at and decide the film is a turkey and skip it.

All that's doing is delaying the inevitable. If the opening weekend isn't hit, legs will be.

FANT4STIC was embargoed until previews and IDR didnt have reviews until Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, antovolk said:

can't believe I just wrote 900 words on this :P

How hard can it be...

Explosion,  Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, feminism, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, plot, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, , Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, feminism, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion,  Explosion, Explosion,  Explosion, Explosion, feminism, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, plot, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion, Explosion X 18

• Like 7