Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

I don't see how this makes less than THG OW.

I'd hate to bring up TDK - TDKR OW comparisons given the stuff that happened on TDKR OW, but if this opens anywhere around THG OW, this could be a sign that some series won't blow up as much as we think they can.

• Like 1

Yes, but what Fake is saying is it will be pretty much impossible for any film to make more than DH2's $91m from midnight shows and later since 95% of the preview money these days is earned before midnight.

In theory, but really popular movies (DH2, TDK, TDKR) basically had shows running all night. There were 3am and 6am shows counted towards "midnights". Basically what's happened is that many of those showtimes have now moved pre-midnight. In the theaters I track, TDKR actually ended up with more showtimes than CF, despite it being a "midnight only" movie.

Don't mean to nag, but isn't all that late-Thursday/pre-midnight money included in the opening day (Friday)? It just seems like a bigger window to make more money and have it count as opening day money...

Right around what I expected relative to what I saw last night at my theater, actually maybe slightly better. This is a good start, not quite the start some were expecting but this is still a 28% improvement on the first one's midnights. Let's see what kind of day business this baby will get!

Don't mean to nag, but isn't all that late-Thursday/pre-midnight money included in the opening day (Friday)? It just seems like a bigger window to make more money and have it count as opening day money...

They'll be counting Wednesday evenings as Friday before long, I'm sure.

• Like 2