Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

I really dont want to sound like a broken record but I really don't see this as a disappointment at all. I see it as another film that drops from its first film just like many other films in history. Empire Temple Jaws 2 Superman Rocky Back 2 the Future Potter Spidey.

• Like 9

Fans overeacte too much too quickly. 

It didn't even drop that much.  I mean it had more chances to drop anyway considering past trends and the rule of thumb of sequels following  movies that open with a $350+ M opening weekend.

Spider Man2 opened with $88 M following Spider man with $114M...that's a 23% drop !  It just had even more terrific legs than its predecessor to minimize the bleeding and ended up reducing that percentage to a less than 8% drop ultimately !

If CF had to open at 77% from its predecssor, it will open at ....$117M ! 

So everything is fine.  It's more a case of THG overgrossing helped by ideal circumstances with no real competition for two months.

Things are now balancing itself a little bit.

• Like 1

It didn't even drop that much.  I mean it had more chances to drop anyway considering past trends and the rule of thumb of sequels following  movies that open with a $350+ M opening weekend.

Spider Man2 opened with $88 M following Spider man with $114M...that's a 23% drop !  It just had even more terrific legs than its predecessor to minimize the bleeding and ended up reducing that percentage to a less than 8% drop ultimately !

So everything is fine.  It's more a case of THG overgrossing helped by ideal circumstances with no real competition for two months.

Spider-Man 2 opened on a wednesday tho, right?

SM2 opened on a wednesday over  6 day long weekend. So its 3 day OW is not comparable considering it burned out 60M over wed/thu. Had it opened on friday it would have broke OW record(though not by much).

• Like 1

Bigger opening? You mean OD? I guess with a Friday release would have done 120M+ Aren't most expecting this? I can't believe the recent 200M OW and sub-200M OW I have seen today. With 225M+ OW beating TA I would say is a 70% lock and anything above 240M and TA is going down.

Its normal when TF2 made 200 million in 5-days people thought IM2 would make TDK no problem. 

SM2 had a 5-day opening or otherwise it probably gets close if not beat SM1's OW record. 

Edited by druv10

I really dont want to sound like a broken record but I really don't see this as a disappointment at all. I see it as another film that drops from its first film just like many other films in history. Empire Temple Jaws 2 Superman Rocky Back 2 the Future Potter Spidey.

I agree. And if it's as good as people are saying, eventually it'll find its audience. 

He's got a point. 

Yeah not directly comparable. I believe it's Blackspider who's got a way of converting a 5-day weekend to a 3-day, but I can't remember what it is.

I tend to take the average of the weekend and 5-day. In SM2's case, the average was $120m. So it very likely would have beat SM1's $114.8m weekend if it came out on a Friday.

Thanks for bringing some rationality to this thread.  :D

I find it completely ironic that you predicted one of the lower end OWs and you're the sole voice of sanity at the moment. 

• Like 1

No, it made 11 on its first monday.

$27,661,137

$115,817,364

26% / -

- / -

4,152 / $6,662

$27,894

$180,072,888 / 

Adjusted

$35,857,000

$150,133,600