CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

Every movie could be 10 hours long if the creatives didn't care about restraint, pace and structure. I know there was more material out there, but there's always more material that gets trimmed from a script. There's only so much fluff you can pump into a story before its original throughline gets lost a bit

Bingo, and Jackson chose to do this when he didn't have to. Remember this project was originally planned and announced as The Hobbit as one film and then a separate "bridge" film.

The Hobbit as a single film would be incredibly compressed and rushed and some of the Dwarves would be even more non-entities than before.

Though perhaps Coolio wouldn't be scarred for life by FuckFace asking for chips.

• Like 1

I get the reasoning, but when you actually read the Hobbit you realize just how little description Tolkien gives for so many things. The book moves along at the speed of lightning because it was intended to be a simple children's adventure. But then LOTR and the Appendices reveal how much Tolkien was retconning and how much was acutally under the surface.

I understand, but the fact is, the first 2 Hobbit movies are nowhere near as well received critically or commercially. I'm not saying it ONLY because of all the extra padding, but it is having an effect. One three hour movie would have been more than enough to tell this story and I think it would have had a chance to be a legitimately great movie.

That's just a fact though. Despite weaker midnights, it made almost the same amount on Friday. Here's the post in question. I don't see the problem in separating it out. 

Okay I understand this when trying to calculate it for the weekend. I'm talking about Friday period. The fact remains that it's Friday is still 6m less than AUJ. There are people saying that it's not a bad thing. When looking at just Friday it is.