CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

The second Hobbit film has hit $53.4 million internationally, including $29.3 million on Friday from 15,950 screens in 49 markets. The Friday number was 5% ahead of the first Friday for “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and its Wednesday-Thursday grosses were up by 11% over “Journey.”

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-playing-powerfully-in-international-markets-1200956487/

OS results are much more stronger for Hobbit 2. Even with the decent size drop domestic, 1B WW is still possible. 

• Like 2

Are all digital IMAX's "LieMAX's"? The MoS screening I was at the size of the screen was bigger than your normal theater screen but it definitely didn't cover my entire peripheral vision and we were sitting fairly close.

I believe this is true. But as Shawn said, I come back for the sound.I usually go to a larger cineplex like an AMC 30 so the screen is at least big enough. But man the sound is still amazing. A Good Day to Die Hard did not disappoint!

IMAX sound is definitely the element that keeps me coming back on occasion if a movie doesn't employ larger aspect ratios.

At least u have IMAX. The best we have in Brisbane is vmax which is an slightly bigger screen better sound and seating. But not at an IMAX level. Though I get the feeling it's not far from the liemax cinemas u talk of. Also we pay $23 for 3D vmax. (Adult)
  • Like 1

Considering it's target audience sounds to be much more mainstream than the arthouse, I actually think it's doing pretty well. Definitely a harder one to call though. I'm still not completely sold on the idea of more than $80-90m.

I think Saving Mr Banks will likely do better when it goes wide, I think it's more likely to be nominated at the Oscars and BAFTAs compared to Rush which was very good but was surprised it got nominated at the Globes. a $15m OW would be a good start for it although its one of three wide releases that weekend. If Secretariat can do $60m total from a $12m OW then SMB with a much easier sell probably may do $100m or so total.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

My only quibble is that we could have avoided the cliffhanger if PJ had trimmed the final chaotic showdown. It was very fun but still, cliffhanger.

I think that's my problem with the cliffhanger. After what feels like an hour, that's not a very good way to reward your audience. Too much journey for ultimately a one year wait for the payoff. I guess you could say the end point was unexpected. When the third picks up, I'll be annoyed that I was there...had to wait one year and then go back again.

Edited by MrPink

If they had cut out whatever the fuck Gandalf was doing and thrown it at the start of the next movie that would've been fine. Maybe trim some of the laketown stuff. The constant cutting to that stuff and Gandalf slows the momentum of what could've been a seriously omg awesome climax.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

If they had cut out whatever the fuck Gandalf was doing and thrown it at the start of the next movie that would've been fine. Maybe trim some of the laketown stuff. The constant cutting to that stuff and Gandalf slows the momentum of what could've been a seriously omg awesome climax.

I kinda agree (esp. the Laketown stuff), but I understand why they chose to have several story threads with cliffhangers instead of just the A plot (Smaug).

I think that's my problem with the cliffhanger. After what feels like an hour, that's not a very good way to reward your audience. Too much journey for ultimately a one year wait for the payoff. I guess you could say the end point was unexpected. When the third picks up, I'll be annoyed that I was there...had to wait one year and then go back again.

Posted Image

• Like 1