filmnerdjamie

Weekend Numbers Smaug 31.4, AM2 26.7 Frozen/AH 19.1

If Anchorman had This Is 40's legs after OW (excluding the first two days Anchorman played) it would make over 160 million. I highly doubt it'll hold THAT well but this isn't the end of its run at all. The holidays are a tide that lift all box office boats.

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Is Anchorman run over no so you cant call it disappointing yet

Agreed. It's not over, but objectively speaking, word of mouth isn't very good so far either. Even Flixster is down to mid-70s and this is a very online-centric movie. If it weren't for the holidays, I doubt it would top $100m domestically off this kind of opening.

It'll still make money for Paramount, though.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Anchorman 2 was so bad. I went in with low expectations and it still sucked. First hour was decent but second half went completely off the rails, trying way too hard to be screwball. I know it's hard to do a fresh comedy sequel but come on. Blegh.

You need to go the sex thread, we've date planned for you.  :P

• Like 1

You need to finally watch Smaug

Might be, I need something to wash the pallet, I think I can settle for American Hustle though. ;)Serious RE Anchorman, I didn't even watch a single trailer or tv spot. Just a couple Ron Burgundy promo interviews. Maybe that was part of my problem. Like, a fuckin Minotaur?? Not everything has to be so OTT like TITE.

Three things on this beautiful Saturday morning! :)

Using Ghost Protocol as an example for why Anchorman 2 can survive over the holidays is a bad example, because that is an exceptionally rare performance, as is something like NATM. Realistically, the peak number for a fanboy centric movie facing stiff competition is Little Fockers, right around 150 million. That would be great. However, I don't think it hits that. 120 is a more solid bet. Considering I predicted 65 million for the five day, yea, I must say, I'm very disappointed.

Speaking of disappointments, that Saving Mr. Banks number is awful. Sure, that's a movie I have no doubt will do about a 5x. But I predicted 150 for it, and like 20 people were in the 120+ domestic club. That number sucks. Combo of bad marketing, not knowing who to market to (older adults or the Disney lovers), and Frozen taking away Disney demand. 

Also, no offense, but gotta love revisionist history cynics that are jumping on the "lulz Anchorman was never gunna b a hit just because you no peoplez who quote the 1st 1 lulz" bandwagon. There's a reason most people predicted 150 plus for it. Congrats on getting the call right, but it kinda ruins your moment if you act like such a condescending prick about it.

Happy shopping everyone!

• Like 2

Also, no offense, but gotta love revisionist history cynics that are jumping on the "lulz Anchorman was never gunna b a hit just because you no peoplez who quote the 1st 1 lulz" bandwagon. There's a reason most people predicted 150 plus for it. Congrats on getting the call right, but it kinda ruins your moment if you act like such a condescending prick about it.

There are some people who seemingly act like that with every release. It's kinda obnoxious but it's old hat by now

• Like 5

Another amazing thing to consider is Frozen with 20M this weekend can potentially have 6 weekends over 20M. If it does that only Avatar and Titanic would have higher 6th weekend. Truly an awe inspiring run. 

Edited by druv10

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  2m 
AMERICAN HUSTLE took in $6.3 million on its first day of wide release on Friday.  Domestic total stands at $7.41 million.  #AmericanHustle

Edited by Ent
  • Like 3

Another amazing thing to consider is Frozen with 20M this weekend can potentially have 6 weekends over 20M. If it does that only Avatar and Titanic would have higher 6th weekend. Truly an awe inspiring run.

I doubt it'll still be above 20m on the weekend after Jan 1. But it's proving everyone wrong with its run so let's wait and see.