CaptainJackSparrow

Dark Knight Rises VS Iron Man 3....ugh

Dark Knight Rises or IM3  

65 members have voted

1. 1. DKR or IM3

• DKR
    • IM3

TDKR is overrated. Especially on this forum. It's so full of itself and half-baked that it feels like a joke on how turning everything into pompous delusion of grandeur (Cotillard's death is the epitome of that lame attempt at being so self important and epically falling flat on its face. Yeah, that's just comic book summer fluff and not much).

IM3 is comic booky fluff without the obvious pretentiousness rubbing your face of being some kind of clever social commentary (despite being the most flat level of discussion) and the second coming of the Christ even if it did make some political reference in a cheeky way but they're never overbearing the story to keep it light on the heavy stuff because I didn't come to watch Iron Man lecturing me about geopolitics and social issues for 2h30 showing Tony Stark watching USA being set on fire on TV powerlessly laid on a couch in a shit hole while making several lame attempts at climbing a frickin' rope.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

TDKR is overrated. Especially on this forum. It's so full of itself and half-baked that it feels like a joke on how turning everything into pompous delusion of grandeur (Cotillard's death is the epitome of that lame attempt at being so self important and epically falling flat on its face. Yeah, that's just comic book summer fluff and not much).

IM3 is comic booky fluff without the obvious pretentiousness rubbing your face of being some kind of clever social commentary (despite being the most flat level of discussion) and the second coming of the Christ even if it did make some political reference in a cheeky way but they're never overbearing the story to keep it light on the heavy stuff because I didn't come to watch Iron Man lecturing me about geopolitics and social issues for 2h30 showing Tony Stark watching USA being set on fire on TV powerlessly laid on a couch in a shit hole while making several lame attempts at climbing a frickin' rope.

Posted Image

• Like 8

TDKR, and it's not even close (though I do enjoy IM3). TDKR is one of the best movies of 2012 period.

As for the twist. The Mandarins was much worse. The Talia twist made much sense in the context of the story, the Mandarin twist just felt like a big fuck u to the fanboys.

Edited by Saintarcher
  • Like 2

I thought the Mandarin twist was great. It's just that they don't really go anywhere all that interesting with it. Once the twist occurs, it returns to generally standard blockbuster fare

Of course, I can name plenty of disappointing things about both films. I chose not to vote, even if I have a preference. But it's just a preference. I tire of the shenanigans today

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

I despised the Mandarin twist. Worst thing about IM3 by a long shot IMHO.

There weren't many things I actually hated about Iron Man 3, but as a long time comic book fan, not only the Mandarin twist not funny, but it was insulting.

Add to the fact that Killian sucked as a villain and that just made things worst.

Edited by Saintarcher
  • Like 2

I thought the Mandarin twist was great. It's just that they don't really go anywhere all that interesting with it. Once the twist occurs, it returns to generally standard blockbuster fare

Honestly where could they go with it? I think they did about as much with it as they could. I admire the fact that they were able to keep it secret. Laughed my ass off when it happened in the film and then laughed even more when I saw the fanboy meltdown on SHH. Well played, Mr. Black.

• Like 2

TDKR, and it's not even close (though I do enjoy IM3). TDKR is one of the best movies of 2012 period.

As for the twist. The Mandarins was much worse. The Talia twist made much sense in the context of the story, the Mandarin twist just felt like a big fuck u to the fanboys.

And a big win for Shane Black and those who appreciate a clever twist. Mandarin made total sense in IM3 context. "Fortune cookies. They sound chinese but they're US."

That works on multiple levels.

"Mandarin, cookie cutter comic book villain? That sounds chinese but that's US pulp creation from another time that creates a one dimensional threat for fanboys to rally against and divert their attention."

"Mandarin, Stark's nemesis? That sounds like Stark's greatest foe on paper but it is his negative doppelganger's dummy to divert his shifting attention post-Avengers from the real threat, highlighting how Stark is misguiding himself in a paranoid state of mind hiding behind dummies."

"Mandarin, big bad wolf of a clownish faux-Al Quaeda terrorist organization? That sounds like some oriental brown people terrorist fanatic but they're part of a scam to get the country in an endless War On Terror by the very same that sell weapons and keep US armements industry business boomin'..."

So much more clever and controversial than TDKR.

Edited by dashrendar44