Films

Wicked: Part 1 | Thanksgiving 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

36 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Maybe they can cancel the 2nd part and make this just a single movie.

I have read the novel and seen the touring production of the Broadway show, and I just do not see how the hell they gcan get two movies ot of the stage show without padding the hell out of it.

• Like 1

I cannot understand why they would make this two parts. They could have had a massive juggernaut blockbuster with a 3hr film. Now they are very much courting a big underperformance with a dreaded part 1 curse, esp since even fans are probably going to think 2 parts feels excessive. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Love on the set!

People and ET are also confirming. He's not a lead, so if they split before the movie is out, it won't affect the promo too much.

This guy played SpongeBob on Broadway btw. I guess Ariana can't leave her Nickelodeon background forever.

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I cannot understand why they would make this two parts. They could have had a massive juggernaut blockbuster with a 3hr film. Now they are very much courting a big underperformance with a dreaded part 1 curse, esp since even fans are probably going to think 2 parts feels excessive. 

All the good stuff is in the first half of the musical! They're setting up the 2nd film to fail.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

All the good stuff is in the first half of the musical! They're setting up the 2nd film to fail.

Yes that too. You can’t have Wicked without Defying Gravity and expect it to be a phenomenon. This could lead to both films failing commercially, rather than one huge success. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Imagine if this ends up becoming the center of a Don't Worry Darling-esque press tour lol.

I can picture a bit of awkwardness come next November if Ariana and SpongeBob don't work out, but he would be sidelined in the Wicked promo anyway. It's going to be Cynthia and Ari everywhere, then Michelle Yeoh and Jeff Goldblum and Jonathan Bailey.

If Ari and Ethan are still in twu luv in 16 months, then he'll get to be included in that upper echelon, even if he's not a lead lead character. But if the grand romance flames out...she's the star and also Ms. thank u, next. The studio would probably have to include him in the promo somehow, but, like, he'll be first out on the red carpet at the premiere and only gets cleared to do joint interviews with Bowen Yang...

Wicked film set in Bedfordshire is DEMOLISHED with 10 days of filming left to go as the actors' strikes brings movie-making to a standstill

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12360637/Wicked-film-set-DEMOLISHED-actors-strikes-Hollywood-halt-sag-aftra-images-weeks-filming-ceased-Ariana-Grande-new-movie.html

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • ...wtf 1