Godzilla

How to Train Your Dragon 2 OS (418 mil OS!!!)

It opened in serveral major markets (20+ in total) last weekend, but it is beaten by Maleficent at its 4th weekend. No way to spin.

Uh...unless these weekends are day and date in most countries, they are absolutely irrelevant.

Frozen made $220m in Japan months after its worldwide OW. I suppose that should be written off? lol get a life mate.

• Like 1

I dont care how much it does in the end for now. Just it is not opening to #1 DOM/OS that disappoints me.

OS opening rank is a completely irrelevant metric when you have films opening in different markets over various weekends. HTTYD 2 didn't lose on its OW to Maleficent's 4th, it lost while opening in a minority of markets going up against Maleficent which opened during various weekends and made about half of its gross this weekend from its opening in the biggest OS market, which HTTYD2 has yet to open in.

Also if you want to count disappointments like this, then think of what a massive disappointment Frozen was, losing in its opening weekend to the Hunger Games 2nd weekend, and to Gravity's 9th!!! weekend.

Was not saying its OS performance is bad or disappointing.

My point is that last weekend was Dragon's best chance to finally take a #1 OS  with its expanding and holdovers being weak, after the poor DOM performance. Now it lost that chance, which is disappointing to me.

With TF4 and Apes dominating July, Dragon 2 will never have a #1 spot. Did anyone see it coming ? I did not. As a potential 450m OS grosser, I dont think it not getting any #1 wkn is something to honor.

For Frozen, it actually gets a few #1s. So no regrets.

With TF4 and Apes dominating July, Dragon 2 will never have a #1 spot. Did anyone see it coming ? I did not. As a potential 450m OS grosser, I dont think it not getting any #1 wkn is something to honor.

It isn't something to honour, it's something to not pay any attention to, because the actual gross is what matters. And since a film winning 5 weekends could lose to a film winning no weekends, the former says very little about the latter, so it is useless.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 3

i made a video for fun ( with crappy materials ) pacific trailer with Httyd 2. Only with clips from trailer and promotional clips. No spoilers. Loved both movies and since guillermo del toro made one suggestion for httyd2 and there is a quote from pacific rim ( adapted to httyd 2) i thought why not lol

• Like 3

While firedeep continues seething, HTTYD2 makes up for it somewhat disappointing run so far domestically with great openings overseas.
Hiccup and Toothless opened this weekend in Poland with 188 532 admissions. Adding the pre-shows it stands with 259 006 admissions. That's the best foreign movie opener in Poland this year, admissions' wise.
Its gross as of now is 5 426 808lc, which is ~ 1 785 000$. Given recent atrocious business in polish cinemas that's a great result, as a sidenote HTTYD opened with 70 688 admissions and ended up with 762 846.

• Like 4

i made a video for fun ( with crappy materials ) pacific trailer with Httyd 2. Only with clips from trailer and promotional clips. No spoilers. Loved both movies and since guillermo del toro made one suggestion for httyd2 and there is a quote from pacific rim ( adapted to httyd 2) i thought why not lol

With that kind of really excessively well-done large scale action sequences, while seems out of place in a young teen movie, HTTYD2'd surely make the older attending audience go nuts on social media, creating buzz for other potential ticket buyer? I mean, look at that battle sequence: it is LOTR-level of epic-ness.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 3

I think it will do fine in France.  The avant premiere where I went was crowded. The marketting is well done, and the movie opens the last day of fete du cinéma ( which means movies party ). I'd be surprised if it's underperformed here.

Any prediction on Mexico, Brazil, Russia, and China numbers here? 

With Germany & France in some kind of a slump, those are presumably

the 4 biggest markets for HTTY2.

Depending on the legs I would say somewhere between $30-40 million per market seems reasonable, although Russia could definitely make a run for $50+ million.

Screendaily:

UPDATE: Meanwhile Animation’s How To Train Your Dragon 2 used a wave of new markets to climb to $76.9m through Fox International.

The film has just over one more week as the sole studio family animation in the marketplace before Relativity’s animation Earth To Echo opens on July 4. Disney’s Planes:Fire And Rescue arrives on July 18.

Dragon 2 claimed the number one spot in more than 30 markets, scoring the second highest animated launch ever in Brazil on a confirmed $6.7m from 905 screens and arrived at number one in Mexico on $6.9m from the considerably larger footprint of 2,437.

Both results were bigger than those of the 2010 predecessor by a factor of at least 2.7.

Australia delivered number one on the biggest individual result out of 53 markets for the weekend, generating $8.1m from 501. Argentina’s $1.4m from 304 resulted in DreamWorks Animation’s third biggest debut in the market.

While firedeep continues seething, HTTYD2 makes up for it somewhat disappointing run so far domestically with great openings overseas.

Hiccup and Toothless opened this weekend in Poland with 188 532 admissions. Adding the pre-shows it stands with 259 006 admissions. That's the best foreign movie opener in Poland this year, admissions' wise.

Its gross as of now is 5 426 808lc, which is ~ 1 785 000$. Given recent atrocious business in polish cinemas that's a great result, as a sidenote HTTYD opened with 70 688 admissions and ended up with 762 846.

Good job Poland. Hopefully Europe follows suit.

Screendaily:

[…]The film has just over one more week as the sole studio family animation in the marketplace before Relativity’s animation Earth To Echo opens on July 4.[…]

They have a very strange definition of "animation" here.

Corpse

Dragon 2

It has a movie page and Fox is listed as the distributor (distributor listed is important), but no release date or frame has been announced yet. Just "2014". But as I mentioned, 2-4 months is the general waiting period for a film to make its way to Japan theaters. And 6+ months isn't unusual for smaller films, and considering its performance will be small in Japan, a release date in December or in 2015 is possible.Just hope it gets released at all though because a number of DreamWorks/Blu Sky, etc. films haven't been receiving theatrical releases in Japan for a few years now due to their very underwhelming success in the market.Megamind, Ice Age 4, Rio, Rio 2, ParaNorman, Rise of the Guardians, Turbo, The Croods, The Nut Job, Free Birds, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, Epic, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, and maybe others didn't receive theatrical releases in Japan. Dragon 2 could have the same fate now that it's disappointing in the US. But hopefully the goodwill of the original (it's the only non-Disney/off-brand CGI animated film on various movie sites' Top 100 films) and its significant increases so far in non-US markets help it out.