Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

Row Rank Title (click to view) Studio Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 1 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Fox $208,545,589 3,969 $72,611,427 3,967 7/11/14
2 3 Rise of the Planet of the Apes Fox $176,760,185 3,691 $54,806,191 3,648 8/5/11
3 2 Planet of the Apes (2001) Fox $180,011,740 3,530 $68,532,960 3,500 7/27/01

That would be a solid entry, 65m.

I hope that the 10+ days it has still to go before the previews will up that 65 to 70+.

The summer hasn't been kind to sequels. So can't hope too much.

Being in 2nd week of a very good Spidey gonna hurt it .... ugh.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

In a perfect world, Homecoming does 110M+ and Apes does 85M+...one can dream

Homecoming would do more in a perfect world IMO

22 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

As much as I love Dawn, I know the casual moviegoer didn't find it all that. Hence, the legs were kinda meh.

The legs were great in its second weekend when it dropped just 50%. They got weaker because after that for three weeks in a row it faced Lucy, GOTG and TMNT all of which seriously overperformed. (To several people who say Dawn didn't have competition: What?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

In a perfect world, Homecoming does 110M+ and Apes does 85M+...one can dream

I'm thinking that Homecoming will do much more than 110M+ so Apes will need 85M to take #1. 

That said, amazing critical reception for Apes, going 3 for 3. :bravo:

13 hours ago, a2knet said:

I hope that the 10+ days it has still to go before the previews will up that 65 to 70+.

The summer hasn't been kind to sequels. So can't hope too much.

Being in 2nd week of a very good Spidey gonna hurt it .... ugh.

But all those sequels have one thing in common. Not only were they fourth or fifth movies in franchises, they brought nothing new to the table in those particular franchises and more importantly the lackluster to horrible reviews told people before they opened that they weren't worth the money. War could very well be another Star Trek Beyond but I somehow doubt it. I could be totally wrong but I see it doing 195mil at least. Kind of like with the last Mission Impossible movie did, it made a little less but nothing horrible.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

This is not a trilogy.

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

How many are they planning? If they can keep the level of quality, bring it. 

I believe this is the last one in the current series. Maybe they will do an apes movie in the next 3-4 years that will shift from the current setting to 50-100 years in the future. 

They will have to find a new director and possibly a new actor for the lead ape role. 

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I believe this is the last one in the current series. Maybe they will do an apes movie in the next 3-4 years that will shift from the current setting to 50-100 years in the future. 

They will have to find a new director and possibly a new actor for the lead ape role. 

I see. Thank you! So kind of like they could start the next 3 in Taylor's timeline.

• Like 1

I am afraid Serkis is a lifer as the mo/cap-monkey guy and it s actually him that said they already had material for at least 1 or 2 more films.

Let 's not kid ourselves, this is one of the oldest franchise in the game and the premise is just too great to not explore.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

TOMATOMETER 

94%
Average Rating: 8.3/10
Reviews Counted: 54
Fresh: 51
Rotten: 3

Critics Consensus: War for the Planet of the Apes combines breathtaking special effects and a powerful, poignant narrative to conclude this rebooted trilogy on a powerful -- and truly blockbuster -- note.

The additional rotten review didn't drag down its average rating of 8.3, nor sequel fatigue will

Edited by titanic2187