Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

The first two are also masterpieces.  But this is 100x better if that were ever possible.

Hmmmm... Personally I think Rise is significantly better than Dawn. And I think Dawn is real real good but Rise just has better focus and more time for Caesar who let's be real is the heart of these things

• Like 2

Definitely diminishing returns (for me) as this trilogy went along.  Found second half of War to be a real slog, doing a tired riff on stuff we've seen many times before in other films.

Great-looking movie, though.  The CGI is damn near flawless.  And Serkis' Caesar is an all-time great cinematic achievement, even if the films around him have never quite matched the brilliance of his great performance.

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie

This was f'ing awesome.  Definitely my favorite of the 3.  I love outdoor adventure type movies and this was just gorgeous.  I agree the first half definitely is better, and it does slog a bit after the mid way point - though the last 20-30 or so minutes are really good.  One of if not my favorite movie this year.   

Saw this last night, was pretty damn good. People are claiming it's the best of the 3, but I'm not so sure. Might have to give it time to sort it out, but Dawn is just so damn good. Rise is underrated too these days, and might be the best worst movie of a trilogy, at least since Before Sunrise.

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing War. It's very good, but the middle act is pretty slow. I think it might struggle somewhat with general audiences. I'm now expecting weaker legs than Dawn's 2.87 multiplier. 

Meanwhile, Apes should win the Oscar for VFX. It really is amazing how this trilogy has done such a great job making the apes look 100% photo realistic. Music was great and you have to appreciate Matt Reeves' decision to go with a much more quiet approach than we normally see in big blockbuster movies. Really enjoyed the winter settings on this one too. Really nice cinematography. 

I am curious to see Reeves' version of Batman. Could be the best Batman we've ever seen from Hollywood

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

:jeb!:

The Nolan shade. 

The Burton and Nolan movies are pretty much equal in my book. Very small edge for Batman Begins over all the others. But I think Reeves could definitely top all of them. He supposedly wants to focus on the detective side of Batman, which is a great approach. Plus I really like the quiet aspect of his Ape movies. If he applies that to Batman, I'm sure I will enjoy it very much. 

• Like 2

I liked it, but not as much as the previous movies. The problem is this was loaded with huge logical flaws such as...

Spoiler

This is supposed to be a military base/arms depot yet they have huge fuel tanks out in the open and the base itself is built at the base of a mountain (who puts a base where an avalanche is even remotely possible?). For professional soldiers they had shit security. No guards around the pens with the apes and even worse, they were expecting an attack at any time yet the apes were running out in the open just outside the walls without being spotted. Things like these just make my eyes roll.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

I liked it, but not as much as the previous movies. The problem is this was loaded with huge logical flaws such as...

Reveal hidden contents

I loved this movie at least as much as Dawn, but you're right.

Spoiler

That was probably one of the most poorly organized military bases. I guess all the competent humans were wiped out at this point, lol.

55 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I am curious to see Reeves' version of Batman. Could be the best Batman we've ever seen from Hollywood

I'm totally excited for the Batman movie too (more than I ever was before), but the box office for this one worries me.   I know WB is watching.   I don't want them tempted to step in and insist on crowd pleasing big bang moments whether they fit the narrative or not.

24 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

Hide contents

This is supposed to be a military base/arms depot yet they have huge fuel tanks out in the open and the base itself is built at the base of a mountain (who puts a base where an avalanche is even remotely possible?). For professional soldiers they had shit security. No guards around the pens with the apes and even worse, they were expecting an attack at any time yet the apes were running out in the open just outside the walls without being spotted. Things like these just make my eyes roll.

Except you are forgetting

Spoiler

most of the human population is wiped out.   I doubt very much that the remaining people are able to organize a competent military.   I would imagine most of them were never in the military before the plague.   Harrelson's character was probably a plumber before.  Or at most he may have been an enlisted guy in the army and got the "leader" role by default.   "That guy was in the army!   He'll know what to do!"

So you are asking for a military operation comparable to before the plague and that's not very realistic.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

I'm totally excited for the Batman movie too (more than I ever was before), but the box office for this one worries me.   I know WB is watching.   I don't want them tempted to step in and insist on crowd pleasing big bang moments whether they fit the narrative or not.

Definitely a valid concern. Let's hope Apes 3 can find a good audience. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

Hide contents

It likely wasn't professional.  Remember humanity was near extinction from the virus.  The majority of those people likely had no professional military training

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Definitely a valid concern. Let's hope Apes 3 can find a good audience. 

Apes isn't batman. I think you guys are worrying over nothing. Reeves was WB's first choice to replace Affleck. If reviews came out like this for a batman movie two weeks early I think you can almost guarantee 150m opening weekend. 

• Like 4