CoolioD1

Better Call Saul

This show is getting so good. I love the parallels between Walt and Saul that can be drawn here. Both characters fall on hard times, but their responses are a bit different. Walt responds by trying to gain power/wealth, whereas Saul uses reason and cunning. That last episode may have been the best one yet. 

'Pimento' was a great episode. That and the Mike-centric 'Five o' are the two best hours of television I've seen since GoT last year.

On a side note, I kind of hope we get to see more of Jimmys future at the Omaha Cinnabon. It would make sense to save that for the series end game but I'm just curious.

Also.... I only think of him as 'Jimmy' right now.Saul sounds wrong, which I guess is a testament to how well the last 9 episodes have established the character.

Yeah this feels confident in a way BB had to grow into.

Not sure it can live up to BB's highs but this has far exceeded my expectations and is a great companion. Finale tonight!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kevin Bacon said:

So literally nobody here has been watching season two, eh? 

I didn't know there was a thread, thanks for the bump.

Just finished the Season 2 Finale, spoilers ahead just in case!

Chuck is quickly becoming one of the most loathsome characters I've seen.

The Chicken Man is back!  The 1 word note left on Mike's car was such a Chicken Man move.  In Breaking Bad, moments before the Salamanca twins were about to put an axe in Walt's head, the Chicken Man sent them a 1 word message of "POLLOS".  And like that move, it was done for the Chicken Man's own selfish reasons and benefit.  In Breaking Bad, it was so he could dominate the market with Walt's 99% pure meth.  In this, its to keep the cartel from suspecting rivals such as him(especially given his history with Hector) and wanting to be the one that eventually kills or torments Hector.

Prediction for Season 3

1.) Jimmy's entire story in Season 3 will be more or less a chess match between Chuck and Jimmy similar to Walter White and Gustavo Fring in Season 4 of Breaking Bad.   Jimmy will ultimately win by going full Saul Goodman by burning Chuck to the ground with the help of Mike in a way that makes the McGill name toxic which leads to Jimmy taking up the name of Saul Goodman.

Edited by Ozymandias

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

I didn't know there was a thread, thanks for the bump.

Just finished the Season 2 Finale, spoilers ahead just in case!

Chuck is quickly becoming one of the most loathsome characters I've seen.

The Chicken Man is back!  The 1 word note left on Mike's car was such a Chicken Man move.  In Breaking Bad, moments before the Salamanca twins were about to put an axe in Walt's head, the Chicken Man sent them a 1 word message of "POLLOS".  And like that move, it was done for the Chicken Man's own selfish reasons and benefit.  In Breaking Bad, it was so he could dominate the market with Walt's 99% pure meth.  In this, its to keep the cartel from suspecting rivals such as him(especially given his history with Hector) and wanting to be the one that eventually kills or torments Hector.

Prediction for Season 3

1.) Jimmy's entire story in Season 3 will be more or less a chess match between Chuck and Jimmy similar to Walter White and Gustavo Fring in Season 4 of Breaking Bad.   Jimmy will ultimately win by going full Saul Goodman by burning Chuck to the ground with the help of Mike in a way that makes the McGill name toxic which leads to Jimmy taking up the name of Saul Goodman.

1. I hadn't made that connection with the note at all, but it does make sense. Who else would make that move? Surely nobody with the cartel, they'd have just captured, tortured, and murdered Mike. Couldn't have been Nacho, because he was the one in Mike's sights the whole time.

2. That all sounds pretty solid to me. Once it was revealed that Jimmy admitting to a felony in order to save his brother's career was going to fuck him in the worst way imaginable, it became all too clear that this was the next phase in his real corruption (which, through two seasons and plenty of tribulations, we haven't seen too much of yet. Yeah, sabotaging his brother's case was a felony crime, but it's hardly advocating murder or openly marketing to career criminals).

3. So how is Jimmy going to get out of the pickle he just made for himself? I initially thought when the scene started that Chuck was playing Jimmy to get him to admit it, but I thought it'd be for his own knowledge and he'd turn on him with an "I knew it" type speech and the door being opened for him to start trying to prove it, but instead he straight up got the smoking gun and didn't even begin to tip Jimmy off that he had it. But that smoking gun is a taped confession of a felony (and enough circumstantial evidence that supports the confession, if being useless on its own), and that doesn't represent a major setback for Jimmy, it represents him being disbarred and going to prison. We know that doesn't happen because this is a prequel, which begs the question, how can he get out of this? They teased the fact that he could have Chuck committed in this episode, and while we didn't get that here, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come to pass after this.

And also, nice call on tarnishing the McGill name. I was having a hard time figuring out what would possibly cause him to outright change his name in addition to all the other things about him that are different in BrBa, and that one makes a lot of sense.