CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, making a sequel to The Lorax would be tacky. It even might be difficult, considering the Dr. Suess estate.

The Lorax while successful in the US, didn't do great OS as Dr Seuss isn't as well known, they are doing The Grinch. 

I'm more willing to give Sing a shot because it' a good premise and also the fact it's Garth Jennings writing and directing instead of the usual Illumination team

• Like 2

I saw some questionable juxtaposition where some people were arguing if making the "gorillas" thugs in the movie was an oversight or not. and there was also one despicable Leslie Jones joke and a lot more unfunny Harambee jokes. :kitschjob:

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

Well, making a sequel to The Lorax would be tacky. It even might be difficult, considering the Dr. Suess estate.

Well they have 4 sequels in development right now and only 6 films including Sing. We know SLOP 2 and DM3 are two of the four. That leaves the other 2 to be Minions 2, Sing 2, or The Lorax 2. Likely the former 2, but you never know I guess. 

Alternatively I suppose the other 2 could be SLOP3 and DM4 considering SLOP2 went into development like a year ago. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well they have 4 sequels in development right now and only 6 films including Sing. We know SLOP 2 and DM3 are two of the four. That leaves the other 2 to be Minions 2, Sing 2, or The Lorax 2. Likely the former 2, but you never know I guess. 

Alternatively I suppose the other 2 could be SLOP3 and DM4 considering SLOP2 went into development like a year ago. 

I do think Illumination needs to develop more original films, sequels and spin-offs are great but they need to mix it up a little. Hopefully 2019 has at least one original film.

One project they had in development was a Dr Seuss biopic which would be interesting to see since it likely won't be targeting their usual demographic

• Like 2

On 11/16/2016 at 1:02 PM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I have to ask.

Is Sing going to be a one off Illumination-film like The Lorax or could it be like Despicable Me & Pets, where it could be a start for another animated franchise if it's a huge hit, depending on how much it does at the box office?

The sequel could be a world tour. That Illumination mess will find a way to work it out.

• Like 3

I concede the most recent trailer is pretty solid with the emphasis on the punk porcupine, who seems like the most compelling character in the movie. But it's still a bummer that I can't set my expectations very high for character drama from Illumination

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

I'm still thinking the 300m predicts are ridiculous for this.  This isn't hyped like Pets was.

I don't know, the marketing is outdoing Pets in terms of internet activity at least. I do agree that this doesn't have as much immediate appeal for kids as SLOP did though. The SLOP teaser trailer remains a stroke of genius in terms of getting kids on board immediately. But the holiday holds could balance that out. In the end I think it will still miss SLOP's gross, but I think Minions is a decent target. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

I'm still thinking the 300m predicts are ridiculous for this.  This isn't hyped like Pets was.

The marketing push is just as insane though, and it has virtually no other competition at Christmas (especially with Rogue One looking to be much less family-friendly than The Force Awakens). It's gonna clean up biiiiiggggg time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

The marketing push is just as insane though, and it has virtually no other competition at Christmas (especially with Rogue One looking to be much less family-friendly than The Force Awakens). It's gonna clean up biiiiiggggg time.

We'll see, I expect it to be a hit, but I'm not sold on it performing on a Zootopia kind of level.

• Like 1

Surprised I haven't seen any merchandise for this or promo. I can still see SLOP ads on 24 Packs of water, but this has just been trailers.

I don't remember exactly when SLOP started it's push into the general consciousness but I do remember it rather firmly in June.

Is this deja vu? Did I say this already....

• Like 1