Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

Best Director

Angelina Jolie - Unbroken
Paul Thomas Anderson - Inherent Vice
Richard Linklater - Boyhood
Ridley Scott - Exodus
Rob Marshall - Into the Woods

Not particuarly confident in Scott (cus he's failed quite a few times now), but everything else looks kinda reasonable. I'd probably swap out Scott with Malick. 

Edited by riczhang

Why the following movies may not win Best Picture

Boyhood - The Academy has always been very lukewarm towards Linklater. That may change but IFC has the distribution rights and that is tough to overcome for any movie. There is a possibility that some other bigger distributor may buy the rights from IFC and give the movie an awards campaign but this isn't a wide release type of movie which only leaves TWC, SPC and FoxS as potential distributors. Harvey should have a stronger movie slate next year and Boyhood doesn't appear to be a Weinstein kind of movie so TWC is probably out as well. Basically the odds are stacked against the movie.

Foxcatcher - There was a rumor going around that the movie didn't test very well which may explain the reason why Sony first downgraded the movie to Sony Pictures Classic (the rights were initially bought by SPE/Columbia for wide release) and then moved it out of the awards season. What are the odds that the movie will be able to make a comeback in time for awards season next year ? Not very good but my guess is that they will try to take it to Cannes and then go from there. I won't bet on the movie either way.

Edited by TLK
  • Like 1

Malick is an even longer shot than Scott, imo. I'd just put Fincher in there for now.

I think something like Voyage of Time may go over with both critics and audiences better than Tree of Life or To the Wonder. You'll know exactly what you're getting into when you see it.

Actually I think it was Erin Brockovich.

But yeah, it seems unlikely. Maybe just a screenplay nod like Moonrise got. Hopefully a production design nod because the work there in Anderson's films really deserves to be recognised at some point.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

Actually I think it was Erin Brockovich.

But yeah, it seems unlikely. Maybe just a screenplay nod like Moonrise got. Hopefully a production design nod because the work there in Anderson's films really deserves to be recognised at some point.

Also costumes. 

Best Picture 2014:

Interstellar (if Gravity loses this year - it'd be the Oscar's way of honoring Nolan and sci-fi in one ceremony) 

Exodus (I think with Christian Bale, Ridley Scott can make a comeback from his slump)

Boyhood (seems really inventive)

Get On Up (the feel good nominee) 

Inherent Vice (Academy will let PTA in this time around)

Big Eyes (could be Burton and Adams's moments of glory) 

Into the Woods (Meryl Streep + musical=guaranteed GG wins plus a nod) 

Gone Girl (Ben Affleck and David Fincher will peak people's interest) 

Foxcatcher/Unbroken (either one could take this) 

I'd love to see Big Hero 6 or LEGO Movie get a nod just because  :lol: but I know that's an utter long shot 

Its not a long shot, its just impossible.