Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

I kinda doubt IFC will be willing to give it up so easily seeing as they've been financing itfrom the start.

IFC has said that they will consider offers but the odds of this type of deal happening aren't that great for a movie with limited box office potential. To be fair to IFC, they may not have a good track record but they usually back a couple of movies for under the radar awards run every year so don't completely rule out Boyhood.

If Unbroken does turn out to be great and wonderful and all that, Jolie is definitely getting snubbed a la Affleck. No way she's getting a director nomination.

I'm worried about the Academy's actor-director bias however their big fuck up with Affleck plus goodwill toward Jolie (Jean Hersholt award hello?) and the sexism backlash they got for Barbara Streisand snub all those years ago might make them be more careful here (assuming the movie is good).

I'm worried about the Academy's actor-director bias however their big fuck up with Affleck plus goodwill toward Jolie (Jean Hersholt award hello?) and the sexism backlash they got for Barbara Streisand snub all those years ago might make them be more careful here (assuming the movie is good).

For The Prince of Tides? Or Yentl? Because there was immensely better releases each of those years so I wouldn't say it was sexism... more a case of films that simply were among the best directed of their year.

1982:

E.T.

Gandhi

Tootsie

The Thing

Blade Runner

Diner

Poltergeist 

Star Trek II 

1991:

Boyz in the Hood

JFK

The Silence of the Lambs

Beauty and the Beast

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Point Break

Thelma and Louise 

Cape Fear

The Fisher King 

I am just very sad Fincher refuses to get out of his comfort zone, the adult modern dark gritty thriller.

Recently he got out of it twice in a row with Ben Button and TSN. Then there's House of Cards. Besides, each one of his thrillers is pretty distinctive, and at least two (Seven and Zodiac) are fantastic films that also couldn't be more different from one another.

• Like 2

What, you want him to do a slapstick kids comedy? 

Something akin to Gravity or Inception is probably what they meant. Although he'd be an inspired pick for the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea reboot Disney tried to make. A dark comedy might be up in his alley