Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

If anything its snub will only help Boyhood. BM got held back by plenty of things - I'm sure many voters hadn't seen the first two films, SPC was more interested in pushing Blue Jasmine, there wasn't any campaigning and competition was very serious. We know Boyhood won't have to deal with the first two issues, we don't know whether anyone will campaign or not and we don't know just how strong the other contenders will be. But based on the acclaim it's received already, its snub would probably be akin to that of Inside Llewyn Davis (which also won a major prize at a film festival, was loved by critics and was the only Oscar hopeful of its distributor). But Boyhood has an advantage in that it's supposed to be life-affirming and nobody will perceive it as too dark, cynical, pessimistic, etc.

• Like 1

Yep, IFC is not going to campaign for more than a couple of movies so that's a positive even if the distributor has limited resources. IFC's awards lineup will be Boyhood, maybe a documentary and a foreign/non-English movie. That's it.

Yep, IFC is not going to campaign for more than a couple of movies so that's a positive even if the distributor has limited resources. IFC's awards lineup will be Boyhood, maybe a documentary and a foreign/non-English movie. That's it.

Will IFC get Universal's support maybe?  They are also shown as distributors on the trailer.

Uni distributes internationally. Not sure if they're giving any support stateside.

Maybe for BAFTA, I doubt for Oscars. Uni has their own horses as well.

Uhm..... I don't think it matters; IFC is IFC and they're gonna suck and fail regardless. When was the last time one of their movies got any traction at the Oscars? 4 months? Or was it as far back as Transamerica in 2005? (Ugh..... Anyone else could've gotten Huffman her deserved win :( )

It sounds like IFC will actually try and push this movie though, they have an actual winner on their hands, they need to push it properly.

But IFC is like incapable of doing that properly. They have like a fraction of the resources any of the other studios have.

But IFC is like incapable of doing that properly. They have like a fraction of the resources any of the other studios have.

I agree it will be extremely hard for them to campaign Boyhood, but if they focus all of their efforts on it they can maybe squeeze it in there, especially given it's ambition.

Full breakdown (disagree if you want)Very likely1. Unbroken2. Big Eyes3. Gone girl4. BirdmanOdds are looking good5. The judge6. Foxcatcher7. Inherent viceWill get in with good reviews8. Interstellar 9. FuryJust missing out10. The disappearance of Eleanor rigby11. Trash12. Boyhood13. Into the woods14. Get on up15. Magic in th moonlightBubbling under16. Whiplash17. Untitled Cameron crowe film18. Untitled Terence malick film19. The grand Budapest hotelUnlikely but not impossible (in order) I've forgotten a couple and will add them when I rememberWildExodusThe theory of everythingMaps to the starsBig hero 6

Since The Search looks like a dud...

BoyhoodFoxcatcher

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Interstellar

Get On UpKnight of Cups

The Lego Movie (wishful thinking)

Magic in the MoonlightTrashWild

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I find it amusing how I read all these stories of how some older films got in trouble as so and so did this to win votes when Harvey does far worse then them :P

Anyway-hope a mainstream film wins.

Full breakdown (disagree if you want)Very likely1. Unbroken2. Big Eyes3. Gone girl4. BirdmanOdds are looking good5. The judge6. Foxcatcher7. Inherent viceWill get in with good reviews8. Interstellar 9. FuryJust missing out10. The disappearance of Eleanor rigby11. Trash12. Boyhood13. Into the woods14. Get on up15. Magic in th moonlightBubbling under16. Whiplash17. Untitled Cameron crowe film18. Untitled Terence malick film19. The grand Budapest hotelUnlikely but not impossible (in order) I've forgotten a couple and will add them when I rememberWildExodusThe theory of everythingMaps to the starsBig hero 6

Mine NowVery likely1. Unbroken2. Big Eyes3. Gone girl4. FoxcatcherOdds are looking good5. Interstellar6. Birdman7. The JudgeWill get in with good reviews and buzz8. FuryBattle for last place9. Inherent Vice (gut feeling telling me this will do the master)10. Wild11. The disappearance of Eleanor rigbyJust missing out12. Trash13. Into the woods14. BoyhoodBubbling under15. Untitled Terrence Malick film16. Whiplash17. Magic In The Moonlight18. Get On Up19. Untitled Cameron crowe filmVery Unlikely but not impossible (in order)The grand Budapest HotelExodusThe theory of everything