Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

Q&A: Richard Linklater Firms Summer Release, Talks 12 Years Making ‘Boyhood’

EXCLUSIVE: Boyhood, a time lapse narrative feature film that Richard Linklater shot over a 12 year period, has been set for a July 11 release through IFC Films, which has stepped up and committed to a theatrical platform roll out and awards campaign. The film played Sundance and Berlin, and its makers have positioned it for what they hope will be a long summer run as audiences watch actor Ellar Coltrane and his supporting cast actually grow up before their eyes, and adults Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette mature as his parents.

At Sundance, there had been some question of whether a large distributor would take the film off the table, but it only seems right that IFC stepped up. After all, as IFC president Jonathan Sehring told me back then, he was the one who wrote an annual check to Linklater for over a decade, and when his bosses would ask him to explain the expenditure and when they would see a payoff, he’d shrug his shoulders. Sehring’s a producer on the film, and so is John Sloss, who made this deal. “We went to Sundance with the understanding we would talk to other distributors,” Sloss said. “You have to understand when they committed to fund this, IFC didn’t have a distribution arm. So they didn’t have distribution rights, even though they are a co-owner along with Rick and the filmmaking team. This is a very special movie and we wanted to make sure it has every opportunity for success. We’ve realized this film plays for a young audience and it will need word of mouth that comes from staying in theaters for a long time. IFC really stepped up.”

Full Article + Q&A with Linklater -> http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/qa-richard-linklater-firms-summer-release-talks-12-years-making-boyhood/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 4

I'm seriously hoping IFC can get a decent campaign in, and not just for screenplay, for picture.

I can't see why the minimum amount of campaign would bring only screenplay. I honestly see this movie as a director's work, especially with the idea of filming in real life time.

They'll probably get the screenplay nom without much campaigning - they got one for both In the Loop and Y Tu Mama Tambien, which had similar critical acclaim. The challenge will be in the Picture and Director categories. The performances have also been praised by everyone but I think, at this point, Patricia Arquette is the movie's only really strong shot at an acting nomination. In the technical categories it could get an Editing nom if enough people in the branch see it and appreciate how it's put together. 

• Like 1

Isn't Boyhood mostly improvised? That may be a strike against a screenplay nod.

Of course, if it isn't and just looks like it is, then it's a frontrunner.

American Hustle had tons of improv, didn't stop it from getting a nod and near win.  I do think there is a general direction with the screenplay though, it'll just depend on how competitive it is this year.

I'd say an Editing Nod for sure, we'll see what else IFC can do with it, hopefully they realize its potential and go as hard as they can with it.

• Like 2

Played Sundance, won Best Director in Berlin (with a lot of people claiming it was snubbed for the Golden Bear) and critics are over the moon about it. Doesn't mean everyone will love it, but the consensus seems to be there. The execution obviously makes it a very special film and Linklater has accumulated some goodwill over the past 20 years. Now it's up for IFC and those critics (see The Hurt Locker) to keep the fire going, the question is how successful will they be and how strong the competition will actually be.

• Like 1