Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

That's a valid point. I can see Ferguson playing a part in how the Academy votes except for the fact that they will likely forget Ferguson happened come January/Feb when they vote.

But now we have all this other shit going on. Garner, Rice... I bet if Fruitvale Station were released this year it would've been the frontrunner.

• Like 3

Locked - no way they miss the cut

Boyhood

Birdman

The imitation game

Very likely - there's still room for a surprising snub

Selma (who would bet against it at this point)

Unbroken (if critics put this in their top10, can't imagine how mainstream Academy voters snub it)

Fighting for room - no one would be surprised to see any of this nommed or not

Whiplash (raising)

Gone girl (slightly fading, but it wasn't mean to convince critics)

American Sniper (raising)

Foxcatcher (fading)

Theory of everything (fading)

Possible surge oncoming

Into the woods (uncertain)

A most violent year (I would bet it's going to take a lot of heat in late December)

Grand Budapest Hotel (under the radar surprise?)

Edited by stripe
  • Like 2

Everything is shaping up for Boyhood to win.

Nominee likelihood is looking like

1.Boyhood

2.Birdman

3.The Imitation Game

4.The Theory of Everything

5.The Grand Budapest Hotel

6.Selma

7.Foxcatcher

8.Whiplash

9.Gone Girl

10.Into the Woods

11.St Vincent

12.Big Eyes

Unbroken and American Sniper are dead.

Edited by The Panda

I was making the thread for the most Oscar noms of the year but closed the window on accident.

Now I'm trying to figure what to put. While I can't imagine Boyhood getting more then 5 noms, it is considered one of the frontrunners so I'll likely have it there. Along with Birdman, Selma, Interstellar, Gone Girl and Unbroken. Yes I'm aware that some of those might not even be nominated-but you never know.

• Like 2

I doubt there will be a bp/bd split. Last time before 2012/2013 there was no consecutive splits since the 40s/50s.

This year is not going the way I like though :P

(Well Selma wouldn't be that bad, it isn't bugging me like some political films they wanted before lol)
(And I wish Unbroken could be here but I knew it wouldn't since it has its background... but I rather not get into any of that)

• Like 1

I having a feeling Selma is going to come in and win the award. Right now there is no front tunner. It gain its buzz in January when it released around MLK day. It is a film that going to appeal to lot of the academy and it i think it going to appeal to lot of the GA since it about one of the most famous Americans and an American in living memory to most older adults. If you look back 50 years ago MLK is probably in the top three most famous Americans. 

• Like 1

After Globes and SAG, I still think Unbroken will be nominated.

That's my rank at this moment

Locked or almost assured

Boyhood

Birdman

The imitation game

Selma

Theory of everything

The grand Budapest Hotel

The contenders

Gone girl

Unbroken

Into the woods

Whiplash

Foxcatcher

I was making the thread for the most Oscar noms of the year but closed the window on accident.

Now I'm trying to figure what to put. While I can't imagine Boyhood getting more then 5 noms, it is considered one of the frontrunners so I'll likely have it there. Along with Birdman, Selma, Interstellar, Gone Girl and Unbroken. Yes I'm aware that some of those might not even be nominated-but you never know.

Boyhood is looking at 6 noms - BP, BD, Screenplay, Supp Actor, Supp Actress, Editing. It could win anywhere from 1 (Supp Actress) to 5 (everything except Supp Actor). 

I gotta say that I'm glad Grand Budapest Hotel is putting up a good fight for a nomination here even though I don't love it. 

In my Sliders parallel universe, Guardians of the Galaxy and Dawn of the Apes each have 6-7 nods and are nominated for best picture.

Oscars are what they are until a big generationnal shift happens, meaning the 60-65 yo + voters are gone.

In my Sliders parallel universe, Guardians of the Galaxy and Dawn of the Apes each have 6-7 nods and are nominated for best picture.

Oscars are what they are until a big generationnal shift happens, meaning the 60-65 yo + voters are gone.

And then we'll be the old, white guys who don't get the new generation's tastes.

Considering the 60-65 group came of age with films in the late 1960s and 70s when "mainstream" films were at their most adventurous I'm not sure why people think that's a conservative age group.  Also it should be a long wait, the average 65 yr old now is estimated to live until at least 90.

The biggest voting body in The Academy are actors, it's not a surprise they go for performance driven films.  It is a surprise that so many though think so little of comedic performances when one would think they'd appreciate the skill more.

• Like 1