grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

4 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Yes on Ronin...mediocre on PacRim...still not terrible she's shined on other things.

I actually still prefer her performance on Ronin. But both are awful, IMO. 

• Like 1

i think you can reinterpret a story to make it specific to a different region though it's been done before. i don't think switching around thematic concerns is an inherent betrayal of the source. i've seen that point brought up a few times but i don't buy it.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i think you can reinterpret a story to make it specific to a different region though it's been done before. i don't think switching around thematic concerns is an inherent betrayal of the source. i've seen that point brought up a few times but i don't buy it.

Neither do I.  Now if they're not reinterpreting...then ok, then there's good reason Edge of Tomorrow didn't get this and this does.  If they are...I'm not buying it.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

I can understand people not liking the main character is not being played by a Japanese  actress but how is this different than Tom Cruise being the lead in Edge of Tomorrow?

Tom Cruise wasn't playing the same character from All You Need Is Kill.

Exactly, "Edge of Tomorrow" got away with it because though it was an adaptation, Tom's character was changed from the main charater in the anime.    Just the core story stayed the same.  Now again that doesn't change the problem but it's better to be a diferent setting than calling it a remake of the same story.    But that's the issue I had with the rumored "Akira" remake.  It was going to take place in New York when the story is about Neo Tokyo.    Ironcially "Magnificant Seven" is based on a Japanese property as well, but instead of having 7 White guys play Samurai, they changed the enviroment and they played Cowboys/Gun Men in the remake with all different characters and names.

"Ghost in the Shell" is a legendary property that influenced "The Matrix" and even James Cameron gave it props.   The property will sell the movie most.    I just think American Studios find Anime properties as a Niche Market and "Dragon Ball" performance didn't help but I fault the filmmakers for that film bombing.  But that's why they wanted a big name for this film.  But they could of went with an unknown Asian actress or a semi known one and surrounded her with A-list talent.   Of course funding a film is hard and investors want a sure thing.   With that said they could of atleast changed the characters or better yet make a story set in the "Ghost in the Shell" Universe because they have Scar Joe actually playing a character named Motoko Kusanagi and that's why there's controversy.  Max Landis just put a video about it.

Edited by filmscholar

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Ban filmscholar for poisoning the well with Max Landis videos

LOL, Ha Ha, very funny Chewy.   I only posted it cause I saw some trades using it.   I'm honestly not a huge fan of his movies (I did like Chronicle) but he does make good points about more original content though at times. 

11 minutes ago, Biph Shmata said:

Would there be all this hullabaloo if Zoe Saldana was the lead? 

Yup

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/04/108423/nina-simone-movie-problems

1. The casting choice for the role of Nina Simone faced serious backlash.
Zoe Saldana was cast to play Simone back in 2012. Saldana is light-skinned and of Dominican Republican and Puerto Rican descent. In previous interviews, Simone's daughter expressed a desire for the role to be recast with someone who looks more similar to her mother. 

Granted, that isn't the only reason why the movie is controversial, but is a contributing factor.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yup

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/04/108423/nina-simone-movie-problems

Granted, that isn't the only reason why the movie is controversial, but is a contributing factor.

To be fair that complaint wasn't about Saldana's race so much as her appearance and that's a biopic not a work of pure fiction. A darker skinned mixed-race Hispanic actress who looked more like Simone would seem to pass muster with the daughter.

1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

Exactly, "Edge of Tomorrow" got away with it because though it was an adaptation, Tom's character was changed from the main charater in the anime.    Just the core story stayed the same.  Now again that doesn't change the problem but it's better to be a diferent setting than calling it a remake of the same story.    But that's the issue I had with the rumored "Akira" remake.  It was going to take place in New York when the story is about Neo Tokyo.    Ironcially "Magnificant Seven" is based on a Japanese property as well, but instead of having 7 White guys play Samurai, they changed the enviroment and they played Cowboys/Gun Men in the remake with all different characters and names.

"Ghost in the Shell" is a legendary property that influenced "The Matrix" and even James Cameron gave it props.   The property will sell the movie most.    I just think American Studios find Anime properties as a Niche Market and "Dragon Ball" performance didn't help but I fault the filmmakers for that film bombing.  But that's why they wanted a big name for this film.  But they could of went with an unknown Asian actress or a semi known one and surrounded her with A-list talent.   Of course funding a film is hard and investors want a sure thing.   With that said they could of atleast changed the characters or better yet make a story set in the "Ghost in the Shell" Universe because they have Scar Joe actually playing a character named Motoko Kusanagi and that's why there's controversy.  Max Landis just put a video about it.

So so if they kept the same story but changed the character would that be fine then?