grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

There is something like 1 million Americans with japanese roots, and they're older than the US average. Not easy to find an actress that would be ideal in that case, and a costly movie like that is a risk, I can understand their decision from a business point of view.

Like comic books before we seem to be going toward manga adaptations becoming a trend, there will be many other occasions with less costly adaptations.

I don't want manga adaptions if they continually cast white people in the main roles. Asian Americans are the biggest growing demographic in America and have a lot of spending power. They should start putting them in their films. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I'm sick of hearing about the whitewashing with Death Note, it's an American remake set in the states, I don't get the problem

Would Edge of Tomorrow (or even the Departed) would get some made up think piece in 2017 ?

I think it is quite different, and here it is an exceptional case spoiler watch out:

Spoiler

Johansson has a Japanese mother and her young self was played by a Japanese actress apparently, making the talk of strange casting ethnicity valid on a purely artistic level, no need to involve politic in it. James Bond playing by a black actor if the movie is set in 2018 would not be strange, having white biological parents and being white in high school year's flashback would make it strange thought.

Edited by Barnack

6 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I'm sick of hearing about the whitewashing with Death Note, it's an American remake set in the states, I don't get the problem, but people want to make themselves feel better by bitching about it.

you can ignore them. How is Death Note related to this film anyway, As far as I know this film is set in Japan. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Would Edge of Tomorrow (or even the Departed) would get some made up think piece in 2017 ?

Yes, if you can conceive of a thinkpiece it exists

• Like 6

I personally don't think anime or manga adaptations work well in live action because the characters will be associated with the actors portraying them. I catch myself doing it sometimes. This blend is made even more clear with the release of Logan. But that was actually handled beautifully, as both a farewell to the character and Hugh Jackman.

This used to be my beef with the MCU when it was in its infancy. I remember when everyone in my town referred to Tony Stark as Robert Downey, Jr. in the context of the film's characters. I hated that shit. They didn't use the character's name. They used the star's name. Now I'm okay with it, but it's even harder for me to accept it with manga or anime. Not because the characters are Japanese or due to "whitewashing," but because the characters themselves can sometimes act as though they aren't really people. Many of them wear clothing that works in their respective worlds, but they would look ridiculous if someone wore it in reality.

It's why I couldn't see a live action DBZ adaptation work in a live-action format, even with Japanese actors. The characters are too outlandish to be realistically portrayed without looking goofy. That's also why I'm putting off seeing this. I don't want to watch the movie and think "ScarJo" every time I see the Major. Nor do I want to laugh at someone's outfit when they show up on screen. (I HAVE done this multiple times with other live action adaptations.) It's personal preference, yes, but it's something that can keep me from focusing on what's important: The plot and the action.

Edited by NoobSaibot

Just got back from my screening and, honestly? I really liked it. It was visually inventive and actually had some fairly solid writing behind it. Johansson was a bit bland, but I thought it was made pretty clear that that was kinda the point of her character. Part of her arc is that she doesn't really feel like she fits in with humanity and an understated performance helped to bolster that. plus she has decent chemistry with Batou and Pitt (who was probably the MVP of the movie). There's one scene after a particular reveal where she just silently stares at Binoche's character and I will admit it kinda freaked me out a little.

Now, I will admit the story is fairly cliche and predictable and I get why people might not be happy with it (especially since the non-Pitt villain ends up being duller than sin )but I honestly felt it kinda worked. It doesn't elevate the movie, by any means, but it kept me interested and showcased enough of the characters/action/world that I didn't really feel it dragged the movie down either. A lot of the philosophical aspects from the original GitS are kinda dumbed down and Hollywoodised, for lack of a better word, but that was something I was kinda expecting anyway and there are still some interesting ideas left behind that the movie does a good job of making digestible. Possibly better than the original movie did.

Overall, while it's not a movie I'm probably going to consider a standout of the year, it was a movie I enjoyed a fair bit. Not one that I'd seek out for a second viewing, but one that I'd see again if someone offered. I give it a solid B+.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

What the hell? 2 or 3 hours ago, the RT score for GITS was at 72% and now it's at 59%. lol

Is that a record drop or what?

It doesn't take much for a movie's score to drop 13 points.

A few consecutive negatives and the score will plummet.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

It doesn't take much for a movie's score to drop 13 points.

A few consecutive negatives and the score will plummet.

Esp. when there aren't that many reviews (although there are 64 rn).