grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

9 hours ago, ChrisTelclear said:

I think we're talking two different things. When I say break out I mean she needs a Monster, or something like that, to break out of the box they've put her in. She's very popular when she does her action shtick, but when she treads into dramatic territory it just doesn't seem to work for her. For reasons I can't put my finger on the industry just isn't that impressed with her outside the action arena, and neither is the public as none of those movies you mentioned sold many tickets.  

Also, sorry for sending some folks over the edge on the Zelda movie.  Yes, Zelda Fitzgerald was F. Scott Fitzgeralds wife. However, you'll be interested to know that the creator of Zelda named the character after Zelda Fitzgerald. So there's actually a connection between the two, if you can believe it.

I see, you mean like Oscar thing. IMO, she was nomination worthy in LiT (don't know why she missed, perhaps split votes with Girl with the Pearl Earring also nom-worthy performance), Match Point, Under the Skin (but it was too small and weird so her performance never stood a chance) and Her (voice work and they ignore those, sadly). She's definitely putting a great serious work but it does look like MCU is overshadowing it. Unlike, JLaw who avoided that at least in 2012 and 2013 (her win and third nom).

LOL I love it how apparently "body builder" is the only synonym for athletic. Wow, I mean 99% of athletic people aren't bodybuilders. I'm flattered you think of it that way, though, because that's actually now about the only way I'm athletic -- I lift. But many, many people who are paid highly for their athletic skills aren't very muscular. They're skilled and they're in great cardio shape or they have muscles developed for specific purposes. It's called specificity of training. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lielixthe said:

Athletic does not equate to nor does is it limited to bodybuilding.

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

LOL I love it how apparently "body builder" is the only synonym for athletic. Wow, I mean 99% of athletic people aren't bodybuilders. I'm flattered you think of it that way, though, because that's actually now about the only way I'm athletic -- I lift. But many, many people who are paid highly for their athletic skills aren't very muscular. They're skilled and they're in great cardio shape or they have muscles developed for specific purposes. It's called specificity of training. 

I was being ironic so let me break down the posts for you guys (Hey jonny!)

Klingo comes and posts some female bodybuilders saying " If people want athletic women they look like this.".  Her point is that athletic females look gross and Scarjo is a better choice, what she doesn't seem to get is that those are female bodybuilders AND they look better than Scarjo. I come in smugly and ironically post the male equivalent of those bodybuilding women, to show that bodying building =/= athletic.

This is concludes todays breakin it down with Jimbo

Lord have mercy. This is the same BS we talked about in the Belle thread in regards to Emma's singing. These people are paid to act. And yes a part of it is how their body looks but some of you guys are pushing it with all this nonsense. 

Bodybuilders are the only athletic looking people? So I guess Cristiano Ronaldo isn't all that athletic. Neither is Lebron James. 

I know this whole argument started because of how Scarjo looked when she was running. Being more muscular isn't going to fix that. She would have to do certain techniques to help with her form. In fact adding more muscle would most likely make Scarjo look worse because she's short. She's perfect the way she is. If anything, she just needs to work on her form. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Klingo comes and posts some female bodybuilders saying " If people want athletic women they look like this.".  Her point is that athletic females look gross and Scarjo is a better choice, what she doesn't seem to get is that those are female bodybuilders AND they look better than Scarjo. I come in smugly and ironically post the male equivalent of those bodybuilding women, to show that bodying building =/= athletic.

In hindsight your sarcasm/irony is pretty obvious. Should've quoted the original post instead.

Also: if people are going to use/have already used "but she's a cyborg!" with regards to the whitewashing, the same argument holds equally to any unhappiness with her physique. 

(I reject the argument entirely because it's used very lazily, but that's another can of worms altogether)

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm a guy.  But I wanted to point out those pics I posted are Crossfit women and are not bodybuilders but athletes because they train their bodies for competitions like running, swimming, climbing, etc.  If posters want Scarjo to be athletic to do moves of the Major she would have have to have a body like Crossfit or a gymnast.

All of this is moot as hell. The whole whitewashing controversy, this whole athletic thing, just moot, means nothing, nada.

Wanna know why? Cause without Scarlett Johansson there would be no movie to begin with. No other actress at the moment would have gotten this done. Green lighting this is related directly to Lucy and Black Widow's success.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 6

Wow, what some people think of as "athletic" is... surprising.

There's an old saying, "Long muscles are strong muscles". For me athletic means a combination of strength, endurance and flexibility and bodybuilders generally concentrate on strength at the expense of the rest. Athletes involved in sports like gymnastics and soccer would be some of the best examples, while they certainly have defined muscles they have a more lean look.

While Scarlett looks a bit "soft" I think that's more genetics than anything else as I assume she's been training for years back to when she was cast as Black Widow. Some people can train all day every day and hardly show the results, but still have the athletic ability resulting from all that work.

57 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

All of this is moot as hell. The whole whitewashing controversy, this whole athletic thing, just moot, means nothing, nada.

Wanna know why? Cause without Scarlett Johansson there would be no movie to begin with. No other actress at the moment would have gotten this done. Green lighting this is related directly to Lucy and Black Widow's success.

and you'd be surprised how many peopke would rather have no movie...

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Obviously race and whitewashing means "nothing" when white people are the perpetrators. But all of a sudden it's no longer "stupid race stuff" when someone traditionally white is portrayed as black. Then it's signed petitions, boycotts, angry letters to directors, hundreds of thousands of online messages, facebook campaigns, hashtags and thousands of twitter messages from your friendly neighborhood white racists. And that's only for FICTIONAL characters. If they tried it for real historical figures, you people would march through town with pitchforks and torches, and burn the damn movie studios down in protest. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Obviously race and whitewashing means "nothing" when white people are the perpetrators. But all of a sudden it's no longer "stupid race stuff" when someone traditionally white is portrayed as black. Then it's signed petitions, boycotts, angry letters to directors, hundreds of thousands of online messages, facebook campaigns, hashtags and thousands of twitter messages from your friendly neighborhood white racists. And that's only for FICTIONAL characters. If they tried it for real historical figures, you people would march through town with pitchforks and torches, and burn the damn movie studios down in protest. 

Why are you so insistent on pushing a false narrative?

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Why are you so insistent on pushing a false narrative?

Putting false narrative? Were you born yesterday? You cannot recall all the sh/t that went down during the Idris potentially playing Bond announcement?or when a black dude was casted in Star Wars, Fantastic 4 or Annie turning black? or perhaps you are oblivious to that stuff

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Putting false narrative? Were you born yesterday? You cannot recall all the sh/t that went down during the Idris potentially playing Bond announcement?or when a black dude was casted in Star Wars, Fantastic 4 or Annie turning black? or perhaps you are oblivious to that stuff

uh huh, I'm aware of that.  But there's a massive difference between internet trolls and, you know, normal people?