The Panda

Would You Be Interested in a Big-Budget Version of Hamlet?

I recently had an idea of what if you took Shakespeare and turned it into a big budget summer blockbuster (using the original language of course), and I was speculating different ways that you could sell Shakespeare and make it mainstream.

Shakespeare has fantastic stories, people are just scared to death of them for one reason, language.  Now obviously, if you watch a good production of shakespeare you can understand the story without having to know exactly what each phrase means because the actors are able to portray it through their diction and physicality.  

I started speculating on how exactly you could sell a Shakespeare story (With the language in tact) to a mainstream audience, and the first thing that came to mind was the Ghost King.  Hamlet is an extremely thrilling story if you think about it, and some of the technical work you could do to make the ghost king into an extremely eerie (almost Smaug or Gollum like) creation of a celestial, slow moving body, chained to the ground as if death was holding him back from vengeance.  By utilizing this aspect right in the trailers (as well as putting more articulation on the more actiony/iconic parts, while overblowing the sword fight a bit) I think you might be able to turn Hamlet into a decent sized hit.

My main points of interest are,

Do you think it's possible to take a Shakespeare play, keep the language in tact, and turn it into a blockbuster 100m+ domestic summer hit, while also maintaining the quality?

And would you even want to see something like this ever attempted?

Blockbuster version of Hamlet is a terrible idea. It's a political drama/thriller (plus Ken Branagh's version is superb).You could turn one of Shakespeare's war plays into a "blockbuster" if the cards fall right, by which I mean stuff likeHenry V (but why remake it when Ken Branagh's version is so damn good [see a pattern])The final chunk of Henry VI Part 2 combined with Henry VI Part 3.As for tragedies, King Lear and Macbeth are both much more suited to the "big-budget" treatment than Hamlet.

Edited by 4815162342

Blockbuster version of Hamlet is a terrible idea. It's a political drama/thriller (plus Ken Branagh's version is superb).You could turn one of Shakespeare's war plays into a "blockbuster" if the cards fall right, by which I mean stuff likeHenry V (but why remake it when Ken Branagh's version is so damn good [see a pattern])The final chunk of Henry VI Part 2 combined with Henry VI Part 3.As for tragedies, King Lear and Macbeth are both much more suited to the "big-budget" treatment than Hamlet.

True, I guess in a big budget sense, Macbeth or King Lear would be better suited.

Re: OP,

No I don't think you can make a blockbuster using the original language but I'd like to see Hamlet or another Shakes story remade not in modern times but in a fantasy setting.  It'll be something different.

Macbeth in space.

Agree on Macbeth.