Shawn Robbins

Weekend numbers Feb 14-16

Not really. It may be if you want to judge pure ticket sales and domestic popularity, but when it comes to a simple comparison of who made how much, money is money. 20m is just that, 20m. It's a small fraction of their total gross. CF did not destroy IM3, it edged past it.

If we're talking money, then obviously IM3 won. I mean, that's a fact. But to gauge a movie's true popularity you gotta look at ticket sales, and I honestly don't know which movie sold more tickets worldwide. Does anyone have the answer to that? And to me, personally, ticket sales are more impressive. And no, I don't have an agenda, I don't care which movie "won".

• Like 1

Best run since Avatar? I was more surprised with Skyfall simply because it was coming off a not so liked predecessor yet managed to make double WW.Animations never surprise me because i never know what to expect from most of them anyway.

Frozen has a legitimate shot at becoming the biggest animation ever. Both domestic and OS has had great drops from the beginning. I just don't see any argument why Skyfall is more impressive.  ;)  :P

• Like 1

Wolf's PTA each weekend since release: 

$7,238

$5,174

$3,506

$3,663

$3,037

$2,116

$2,213

$2,510

Hell of a consistent performer. 

Frozen's PTA:

$243,390

$18,009

$8,449

$6,073

$5,549

$8,575

$5,900

$4,547

$3,952

$3,308

$3,244

$2,794

$2,787

Posted Image

The Frozen storm can't be stopped  :D 

• Like 2

21 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire LGF $540,000 -18.3% 326 -203 $1,656 $423,116,000 $130 13 - 19 Nebraska Par. $505,000 -28.2% 324 -201 $1,559 $15,765,000 $12 14 - 20 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug WB $505,000 -26.6% 285 -252 $1,772 $256,130,000 - 10

Remember when people thought The Hobbit would kill CF's legs?  :D

Katniss has longer legs than all dwarfs combined...and they're beautiful too  :ph34r:

Would House of Cards really be that big a factor?

Gitesh loves it I guess. It's like me saying 'strong day at bo despite it being italian lentil and pastini day at hale n hearty..nom nom nom nom'

Frozen has a legitimate shot at becoming the biggest animation ever. Both domestic and OS has had great drops from the beginning. I just don't see any argument why Skyfall is more impressive.  ;)  :P

Because no Bond film had ever crossed 600m yet Skyfall managed to hit 1.1b without 3d. Only 6 movies have ever done that and Skyfall is the 3rd highest grossing 2D movie of all time. I think Skyfall is more impressive, I didn't think a total that high for a bond film was even possible.
  • Like 1

Katniss versus Tony Stark: of course WW money is money, but studios see a lower percentage of that than domestic, not to mention CF cost $100m less to make than IM3, and a good $75-100m less to market. That, combined with Katniss grossing 20m more in 2D than IM3 did in 3D means "destroyed" is a valid term (domestically, at least). CF will be more profitable for Lionsgate than IM3 is for Marvel, and I suspect the merchandise sales might be a lot closer than people expect too.

Where do you get marketing numbers from both movies?  What were the total marketing budgets for both?

I can't believe in February 2014 the Marvel and HG fanboys are still going at it over 2013 movies.

I so hope Frozen can find some way to beat them both.  Maybe it'll get a nice bump when it wins the BO best picture award today.

• Like 1

Is it just me or do bad movies seem to do exceptionally well in January and February more so than any other month? Sure, bad blockbusters do well over the summer due to excessively aggressive marketing campaigns, fancy effects, etc., but I'd argue that a movie like Ride Along or even Monuments Men wouldn't be doing as well as they are were they released another time of the year, especially the former which is incredibly unfunny for such a big hit. 

Ride Along is another Paul Blart. 

Edited by tonytr87

RA is surprisingly very strong. Smaller drop than FRZ

FRZ is gonna need some push. it seems 400M is a little hard to reach now.

After a $5.9 M weekend DM2 added $30 M. to its total and Shrek 2 almost $33 M. Also Finding Nemo added $26 M after a $4.4 M weekend. So Frozen has a lot of chances to reach $400 M. Don't you think?

• Like 1