AdamKendall

Space Jam: A New Legacy | July 16 2021 | WB | Malcolm D. Lee to direct, Ryan Coogler producing. Lebron James to star

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/lebron-james-space-jam-sequel-dick-ebersol/

EXCLUSIVE: What’s up, doc? A broken nose. Ouch! After he recovers from the injury suffered in last night’s game, NBA MVP LeBron James will be ready for his close-up — with Bugs Bunny.

Broadcasting veteran Dick Ebersol‘s sons have come on board to develop the sequel to 1996 animated/live-action hit Space Jam as a starring vehicle for James, the Miami Heat star who broke his nose during last night’s game against the Oklahoma City when the Thunder’s Serge Ibaka got him in the face after a dunk.

Another Space Jam film? Why not? The first film, which broke ground for Warner Bros and starred then-Chicago Bulls star Michael Jordan and a slew of other top NBA players, ended up grossing $230M worldwide for the studio and even launched a kids TV series.

Charlie Ebersol, who already has a good relationship with the NFL through his NFL Characters Unite series on USA Network, is about ready to do the same with the NBA. He has been brought on to the produce the picture through his production company, The Company, from a script by his brother Willie Ebersol. The latter won an Emmy for the London Olympics. This is his first screenplay.

Jon Berg is production executive on the project at Warner Bros. I well remember when the studio produced the first one and delighted in the fact that top NBA players including Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, Danny Ainge, Tyron “Muggsy” Bogues, Vlade Divac, Cedric Ceballos, Larry Johnson, Shawn Bradley and Paul West all did deals to be part of the film during a key basketball game between their trademark characters. The film also included sports commentators Ahmad Rashad and Jim Rome as well as NBA coach Del Harris.

This one should be equally power-charged with NBA players and beloved Warner Bros characters — a fun departure from the more serious fare Charlie Ebersol has been involved with.

We'll see if this sees the light of day. ;)

Plus, the real question is will The Servant join him in action. ;)

I am not even sure how to feel.

I am shocked by the lack of originality of Hollywood.

And I thrilled to think I will see a Space Jam sequel in theaters. Nostalgia is so big with this one.

• Like 1

Confirmed to be in development as part of an overall deal between Lebron and WB: http://www.thewrap.com/lebron-james-signs-deal-with-warner-bros-to-develop-movies-tv-shows/

I guess they saw the buzz online last year

LeBron James and his business partner Maverick Carter have signed a production deal with Warner Bros. to develop movies, TV shows and digital content for the studio under their SpringHill Entertainment banner, TheWrap has learned.

The star of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Judd Apatow’s “Trainwreck” has been moving into filmed entertainment as the executive producer of the Starz series “Survivor’s Remorse.”

Warner Bros. and SpringHill will co-produce and co-own every project they do together, though WB will retain full ownership of the copyright of any content that falls under the deal. SpringHill will be able to shop projects to other studios and networks if Warner Bros. isn’t intereseted.

James has carefully cultivated his personal brand and Warner Bros. will help extend its reach across the globe. It’s even possible that King James could find himself wearing a cape one day, as he’d be a natural fit for the studio’s DC Movie Universe. The studio has also been developing “Space Jam 2” with him in mind.